TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Special Topics > Antennas

Notices

Old 7-May-2021, 11:16 PM   #21
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeciple View Post
Unfortunately my HOA now prohibits visible antenna's and satellite dishes so the attic mount was my only option.
What your HOA is doing is a violation of FCC rules.

Installing Consumer-Owned Antennas and Satellite Dishes
https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides...tellite-dishes

Over-the-Air Reception Devices Rule
https://www.fcc.gov/media/over-air-r...n-devices-rule

You can fight them or give in to them; your choice.

Maybe if their board sees a copy of the FCC rules, they will reconsider their decision.

If you put up an outdoor antenna, they can't force you to take it down. The burden is on them to appeal to the FCC. If the FCC rules in their favor, then you must take it down.

One solution to make both parties happy is to install a window in that wall, as I think you have at the other end of the attic. Mount your antenna just inside that window, but don't use metal screen or low-E glass which block TV signals.

Last edited by rabbit73; 7-May-2021 at 11:25 PM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-May-2021, 10:46 PM   #22
bobsgarage
Antenna Enthusiast

Smile

Quote:
Yes, Rabbit gave me a ton of great advice!

Unfortunately my HOA now prohibits visible antenna's and satellite dishes so the attic mount was my only option. Thankfully the storms that passed through the southeast over the past week or so are unusual. Most of the time it's pretty calm out here.

Thanks for the amp recommendation. I will have to look at that one.

Best,
Ken
I don't know if you know this but you are protected under an FCC rule that says that no HOA can prohibit you from putting up a rooftop antenna.

I've read several cases where tenants presented the ruling to the HOA and they had to capitulate.

I don't know where you'll find that information, probably on the FCC web page I'm sure.

https://www.kitztech.com/kt200.html

Oops, rabbit beat me to it. I didn't realize there was another page to this thread. I missed his post right above mine.

Last edited by bobsgarage; 8-May-2021 at 10:49 PM.
bobsgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-May-2021, 10:09 AM   #23
eclipsme

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post
What your HOA is doing is a violation of FCC rules.

Installing Consumer-Owned Antennas and Satellite Dishes
https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides...tellite-dishes

Over-the-Air Reception Devices Rule
https://www.fcc.gov/media/over-air-r...n-devices-rule

You can fight them or give in to them; your choice.

Maybe if their board sees a copy of the FCC rules, they will reconsider their decision.

If you put up an outdoor antenna, they can't force you to take it down. The burden is on them to appeal to the FCC. If the FCC rules in their favor, then you must take it down.

One solution to make both parties happy is to install a window in that wall, as I think you have at the other end of the attic. Mount your antenna just inside that window, but don't use metal screen or low-E glass which block TV signals.
I believe this only applies to private areas, not shared spaces. The roof is generally classified as a shared space, but so was the attic in the condo that I owned some time ago.
eclipsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-May-2021, 6:49 PM   #24
deeciple

I am getting pretty good results from the attic install. Albeit, the more windy days do present a problem for me, but I am not sure the roof install would improve that much. The trees around me are very tall. Plus, the safety factor of climbing up there...

I had it mounted on the side of the house, about 12' up before I had to take it down.
deeciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-May-2021, 2:30 AM   #25
deeciple

Quote:
Video of signal affected by wind in tree. I use VLC Media Player. Made using GE 34792 antenna; GE 29884 does better.
Rabbit,

Thanks for this. I am actually trying to decide between these 2 to replace my RCA ANT751R as they are more directional and I am hoping the better reflector will help with multipath issues.

Ken
Old 2-Jun-2021, 9:26 PM   #26
deeciple

Quote:

Thank you for the photo of your antenna in the attic. I see a black pipe or duct in front of the antenna. If it contains metal or foil it might block the incoming signals.
Hi Rabbit73,

I know this is an older thread but I am thinking about moving my antenna up higher to see if I can clear that duct and get better reception. I am noticing that whenever the air handler kicks in my reception is affected.

I have radiant barrier to the left and right (on the slopes of the roof). If I go up higher, do you think that the reception will be worse due to the narrower wall in front of the antenna, with the barrier being on either side?

Thanks,
Ken
Old 3-Jun-2021, 1:06 AM   #27
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Quote:
Hi Rabbit73,

I know this is an older thread but I am thinking about moving my antenna up higher to see if I can clear that duct and get better reception. I am noticing that whenever the air handler kicks in my reception is affected.
Hello, Ken

That sounds like intermittent electrical interference. The antenna must be near the source.

Quote:
I have radiant barrier to the left and right (on the slopes of the roof). If I go up higher, do you think that the reception will be worse due to the narrower wall in front of the antenna, with the barrier being on either side?
It's difficult to predict. If there is no metal in front of the antenna to block the signal, it might improve the reception.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Jun-2021, 1:20 AM   #28
deeciple

Quote:
That sounds like intermittent electrical interference. The antenna must be near the source.
Yes. I tried to get it as far away from the air handler as possible but it is about 4' away. I actually had tried moving it from it's original location but did not see any real improvement. If I raise it higher I could get it 6' or more away from the air handler. My only concern and why I didn't mount it higher was the narrowing of that wall due to the pitch of the roof.

Quote:
It's difficult to predict. If there is no metal in front of the antenna to block the signal, it might improve the reception.
It's definitely worth a try as raising it higher will clear that duct as well as get it farther from the air handler. I will give is a shot this weekend and let you know how it goes.

Thank you,
Ken