TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 22-Jan-2014, 1:53 AM   #1
weave

Antenna upgrade?

I'm in western NY, right smack between Rochester and Buffalo. Switched from Dish Network to OTA only about 12 months ago when I lost my job. Given our budget I went with a fairly inexpensive setup. I purchased an Antennacraft U4000 from Radio Shack. It is installed on a mast on the side of a single story addition on the southeast corner of our house about 15-18' in the air. We are in a neighborhood of 2 and 3 story homes and large, old trees. Neighbor on the south side of us is a 3 story home about 20' from the mast location. We have a fairly narrow line of sight window to the south west. Neighbors east of us are also 2 and 3 story homes about 125' away. Antenna is aimed southwest towards Buffalo broadcast locations. I removed the reflectors from the rear of the U4000 to help reception from Rochester.

Currently we are getting NBC, CBS out of Buffalo and WXXI, FOX, out of Rochester fairly consistently although the signals from each of these are scrambled/digitized from time to time. ABC out of Buffalo and CBS out of Rochester is hit or miss. ABC out of Rochester isn't happening at all. We also get WNYO and ION fairly reliably.

Ideally, I'd like to get the full slate of Rochester and Buffalo stations. Are stations out of Toronto not likely? CBC would be a nice addition.

I guess my big question is, would a good pre-amp be enough to get me most or all of Buffalo/Rochester? If not, antenna suggestions? My home is a 3 story building with a very steep roof pitch. I am not getting up there myself to install on the roof. If needed, I guess I'd have to consider paying an installer to get up there, but if I can do it from my 18' mast on the 1st floor addition that is what I would prefer as that fits our budget a whole lot better.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b94b135a15388

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 22-Jan-2014 at 2:17 AM. Reason: Repaired TVFR link
weave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Jan-2014, 5:09 AM   #2
teleview

+=
----
To see how much signal strengths improve the weak signal strength Tv stations such as the CBC.

Please make and post 3 more Tvfool reports at , 25 , 40 , 60 , feet antenna height above ground.
Old 1-Feb-2014, 2:11 PM   #3
weave

My apologies for not replying sooner. Laptop was out for repair.

@25ft
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b94efb9ba18e9

@40ft
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b94081ccabc18

@60ft
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b94b42b3f7af0
Old 4-Feb-2014, 11:59 PM   #4
teleview

+=>
----
Re reading your reception situation again , I read that your home is a 3 story home.

That being the case , I am making a new recommendation.

---------------------

Ok here is New recommendation.

All antennas will be Above The Peak of the 3 Story Roof.

For reception of the USA Digital Broadcast Tv Stations/Channels.

Install the U4000 with the reflectors removed , aim either side at about 270 degree magnetic compass direction and the UHF Tv stations channels will be received both directions.

Also install a , www.antennacraft.net , Y10-7-13 , VHF high band channels 7 thru 13 antenna , aimed at about 234 degree magnetic compass direction for reception of the Weak Signal Strength , WBBZ channel 7 , and WHEC channel 10 and WHAM channel 13 , will be received through the back of the Y10-7-13 antenna.

--------------

Install a , RCA , TVPRAMP1R , preamplifier.

------------

Connect the U4000 to the UHF connection of the RCA preamplifier.

((I recommend do not use the U4000 antenna.

Up grade to a , Antennas Direct , DB8e UHF antenna.

Aim 1 panel at about 270 degree magnetic direction , and the 2nd panel at about 100 degree magnetic compass direction.

The DB8e UHF antenna can be used to Test reception of Canada Tv stations. ))

Buy the DB8e antenna from , www.amazon.com

Connect the Y10-7-13 antenna to the VHF connection of the RCA preamplifier.

Operate the RCA preamp in the the Separate antenna mode.

Have the FM trap switch in the , in/on , position.

------------------

For 1 Tv connected use No splitter.

For 2 Tv's connected use a , Holland Electronics , HFS-2D , 2 way splitter.

For 3 Tv's connected use a , Holland Electronics , HFS-3D , 3 way splitter.

For 4 Tv's connected use a , Holland Electronics , HFS-4D , 4 way splitter.

Buy the , HFS-2D , HFS-3D , HFS-4D , splitters at , www.hollandelectronics.com , or , www.amazon.com .

---------------

Here are some above the roof antenna mounts.

www.ronard.com/909911.html
Use the , ronard(911) , 5 foot tripod antenna mount.

www.ronard.com/ychim.html
Measure around the chimney and use a , ronard(2212) , ronard(2218) , ronard(2224) .

Buy the ronard antenna mounts at , www.ronard.com , or , www.amazon.com .

-----------

As always , trees and tree leaves , plants and plant leaves , have a Negative Effect on Broadcast Tv Reception and so do buildings and other obstructions including your own roof and building.

Some and not all Negative Effects are.

Absorbing and Blocking Reception.

Multi-Path Reflecting Tv Signals Bouncing All Around.

The Best Pratice is to install the antennas at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception including your own roof and building.

Reception of the Canada Tv Stations will require a Separate antenna system.

For reception of the Canada Digital Broadcast Tv Stations/Channels ,

CBLT , UHF channel 20 , CBC.

CBLFT , UHF channel 25 , French language.

CICA , UHF channel 19 , TVO.

CIII , UHF channel 41 , GTN.

to the , North West , aim a Antennas Direct , DB8e antenna at about 317 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna.

-----------

Install a , RCA , TVPRAMP1R , preamplifier.

----------

And for splitters it is the same type and kind of splitters as the USA antenna system.

--------

---> The USA and Canada antenna systems are ---> Separate Antenna Systems All The Way to Each Tv Location.

And at each Tv location a , Remote Control , A/B antenna switch will be installed to switch to the USA and Canada Tv stations.

Remote control A/B switch , www.mcmelectronics.com , model number , 32-4425 .

------------------

Install the , Y10-7-13 antenna on the bottom , the DB8e antenna above the Y10-7-13 and the the U4000 on top of the stack.

If using 2 antenna mounts then install the Y10-7-13 on the bottom of the first antenna mount and the U4000 above the Y10-7-13.

And install the DB8e on the second antenna mount.

----------------

Home Depot and Lowes have , Top Rail - chain link fence Pipe that comes in 10 foot sections for antenna mast pipe.

The cost is Low Dollars.

Last edited by teleview; 6-Feb-2014 at 3:04 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 7-Feb-2014, 1:20 AM   #5
weave

Wow. Lots of stuff there. Thanks.
Old 8-Feb-2014, 3:17 AM   #6
teleview

+=>
----
Now that you have had some time to think about the reception situation and the recommended antennas.

As a Test of reception.

With the DB8e installed it might be possible to receive the USA and Canada Tv stations with the 1 DB8e antenna.

1 panel of the DB8e antenna is used to receive the USA Tv stations in both directions , remove the reflector screen from 1 panel.

The other panels reflector screen is not removed and the panel is aimed the Canada Tv stations.
The signal strengths of the Canada Tv stations are weak signal strength , the only way to find out if the 1 panel will receive them is install the DB8e in a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions on the directions of reception and Test reception.