TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 20-Feb-2013, 3:53 PM   #1
finanplan

Cut the Cable - What Do I Need? North of Atlanta

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1ddae18b40ad4e

I'm looking for some antenna advice. I was thinking of putting an antenna up in my attic, which is probably 30 feet or more above ground level (my house is on a hill, but does have some large trees around it, though not directly impacting my south east view). I wanted to see if something like a DB4e or DB8 is overkill in my situation. Also, NBC is VHF High, so I'd need something to capture that (I'm not opposed to two antennas and a UVSJ). I'd like to connect to two TVs in the house, and possibly a HDHomerun as well (so, maybe 3 outputs are needed). Alternatively, I'm considering just using the HDHomerun and using my existing Roku boxes (which is really, HDHomerun-->Ethernet-->Plex Media Server-->Roku Box Plex app). Any recommendations on a splitter would be appreciated as well. Lastly, there seems to be a lot of differing opinions regarding grounding of an antenna installed in an attic... thoughts would be welcomed!

Neither TV is in a room that has a window facing towards south east.

Thanks in advance
finanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Feb-2013, 10:53 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

As far as antenna selection is concerned, I would opt for an outdoor mounted Winegard HD7696P. I'd use 150° magnetic as my starting aim point. If my initial reception testing at the antenna showed reliable reception of one or more of the signals in the red section of the report, and I had interest in their programing, I'd install a CPA-19 preamp at the antenna also.

The HDHR is a great tool for antenna alignment. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=820

I have no intense loyalty to a particular brand of splitter. My experience with the Ideal brand product stocked at the local big box store has been completely satisfactory. For your system, I'd suggest a 3-way splitter with a bandwidth rating of 5 to 1000 MHz (though if the price for a satellite grade splitter is the same... that's fine too). http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=13090

AS far as grounding is concerned, my opinion is that best practice is to ground the antenna system regardless of whether it's in the attic or outdoors. The goal of grounding is to prevent a difference in voltage from developing between separate pieces of equipment if there is an electrical fault. For example, if you drove a nail or screw into a wall and by chance, it pierced a power cable and coax, you could expect grounded coax would provide a path for fault current sufficient to trip the circuit breaker. An ungrounded coax would simply conduct the power line voltage to all parts of the antenna system... setting up a potentially dangerous trap for some who may latter touch some part of the antenna system.

http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=901
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Feb-2013, 11:30 PM   #3
finanplan

Unfortunately, I must install in the attic rather than outdoors. I really only care about channels in green (all UHF except NBC). I realize it isn't an exact science, but do you think that given my location, that antenna, and an attic install, that I'd get the green channels?
Old 20-Feb-2013, 11:44 PM   #4
GroundUrMast

Success in the attic is dependent on the type of materials used in the construction of the roof. If you have a single layer of asphalt/composition shingles on a wood framed deck and no metal/foil involved, then you're quite likely to do very well.

Consider an Antennacraft HBU-33 or HBU-44. For reception of the strong (green) signals, an amplifier should not be needed.
Old 21-Feb-2013, 12:50 AM   #5
finanplan

I decided to give the hbu44 a shot. We'll see how it works!
Old 21-Feb-2013, 12:52 AM   #6
Dan4328

I live in the northwestern Atlanta area. If you live within the perimeter of the city, you can use an attic antenna if you need to have over 90% signal. But you can get by with a Terk 1080i (has VHF retractable dipoles) antenna pointed towards the cities for a constant 70% or more signal. North of that, though, you will need to send in a signal analysis because of the gradually greater hills, especially in the areas greater than 20+ miles away from the towers. You should try out WANN TV on digital, it has 30 sub channels including movies and radio stations.

Unfortunately, I live in the "signal shadow" of a mountain, so I need a major antenna and an amplifier in order to get the strongest of signals, even though I live just north of Marietta

You won't need to worry much if you want the TBS 26 (Soon to be 14) and WANN 31/32 analog (and Spanish 4 in analog) and you live in the perimeter. They are generally strong enough to come in with good enough signal.
Dan4328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Feb-2013, 1:06 AM   #7
finanplan

I'm in Woodstock, but my view is good (per the signal map analysis). I'm on top of a hill, which obviously helps.
Old 21-Feb-2013, 11:30 PM   #8
elmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan4328 View Post
You should try out WANN TV on digital, it has 30 sub channels including movies and radio stations.
I just had to comment, I've never heard of so many sub channels. Looked it up on Wikipedia and sure enough! Interesting.
elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Feb-2013, 10:44 PM   #9
finanplan

HBU-44 is installed in my attic and pointed near 150°. I receive a total of around 80 channels, including virtual channels, and all of the channels that I originally wanted. Thanks to all for the help!
Old 25-Feb-2013, 4:41 AM   #10
GroundUrMast

Good to hear... Thanks for taking the time to report your results.