TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 12-May-2012, 4:46 PM   #1
elvislives

Help Experts!

Good day everyone!

I just moved in my new apartment and I live in the first floor and can only use indoor antenna.

I used to have comcast cable all my life and this is my first time to use regular antenna.

I am wishing not to subscribe in any cable services anymore and I only watch local channel especially ABC's- Good Morning America.

I bought an RCA digital antenna which cost $10 and only got NBC station with poor reception, pixelated and can't really watch anything at all.

Then I bought Wineguard SS 3000 with good reception and more channels that I don't really watch. I was hoping I can get ABC channel again but to no avail.

I tried to see tv signal locator from my area. It shows that ABC station is VHF and 37 miles away from my current location. NBC is UHF and also at the same range.

I am 50 miles away from Philadelphia where most local tV stations are located. I do get NBC reception very well but can't get ABC.

is there any chance to get ABC stations?

Is fox channel OTA or needs cable?

My exact location in Berwick Court, Reading PA 19606.

Kindly help!

Thank you in advance!
elvislives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-May-2012, 5:51 PM   #2
Electron

Tv Antennas and Tv Reception

Is that 305 Berwick Court , Reading Pa , 19606 . Google maps , Latitude 40.29208 Longitude minus - 75.850871 . And if so , does this look correct?? , http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...de655cc641d5bc . And is your unit in the west row or east row of apatrments?? Is there a patio??

Last edited by Electron; 13-May-2012 at 6:14 AM.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-May-2012, 6:29 PM   #3
elvislives

West row. Yes I have patio? Will it help the reception?
Old 12-May-2012, 6:44 PM   #4
Electron

Is the patio on the the west side of the building or east side of the building?? Are there patios on both the west side of the building and east side of the building?? Does your apartment have windows on both the west and east side of the building?? The directions of the Tv stations to receive are north East and south East. As always , Tv antennas receive the best when aimed at the Tv station/s and nothing is in the way to reduce or block reception. So I am asking questions to find the best place to put a recommended Tv antenna.

Last edited by Electron; 15-May-2012 at 4:09 PM.
Old 12-May-2012, 9:48 PM   #5
signals unlimited

Fox is OTA. not to be confused with the FOX CHANNEL. Your only chance for ABC is channel 6 out of Philly. ABC 27/10 VHF out of Harrisburg does not reach the Reading area. Your ABC 6 should come in if you get an antenna that works well on Low VHF, and put it outside or near an East facing window.
signals unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-May-2012, 10:04 PM   #6
Electron

The Tv stations are of moderate signal strength to weak signal strength. The Tv stations to receive are on the East side of the building of the direction of East.

A antenna outside on the west side will likely improve reception some.

However the best reception will happen on the East side of the building. A antenna on the East side of the building should be up as high as possible. Not mounted just above the ground.

Here is the first choice for a antenna on the outside of the East side of the building , Winegard HD7000R antenna with a Winegard AP8700 preamp aimed at about 90 degree magnetic compass , (East).

The second choice on the outside of the East side of the building is a Terk HDTVo antenna aimed East.

The third choice on the outside of the East side of the building is a Antenna Craft HDX1000 aimed East.

The fourth choice is a Terk HDTVa antenna put in the window or close to the window that faces East.

Here is how to aim indoor and outdoor antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Here are places to buy antennas and etc. , http://www.solidsignal.com , http://www.amazon.com , http://www.winegarddirect.com , http://www.antennacraft.net.

Last edited by Electron; 19-May-2012 at 9:17 AM.
Old 12-May-2012, 10:16 PM   #7
Electron

WPVI-DT channel 6 ABC is transmitting on channel 6.
Of the listed antennas the HD7000R antenna has the longer metal reception elements at the back of the antenna for the best reception of channel 6.
The other antennas listed will receive channel 6 but not as well as the HD7000R.
Here is the Federal Antenna Law that says Yes you can put a antenna on a patio or balcony. http://www.fcc.gov/guides/over-air-r...n-devices-rule. .
Also many apartment buildings have the small dishes on outside walls or on a stand that is on the ground.
And the HDX1000 looks like a small dish on purpose.
If the HDX1000 were mounted on a stand on the ground the HDX1000 will likely require more height for better reception of WPVI 6 ABC.
As always when antennas are installed and aimed at a starting direction the antenna is then turned to the left and right to find the best direction for reception. For this situation WPVI channel 6 is to the south East.

Last edited by Electron; 19-May-2012 at 8:54 AM.
Old 13-May-2012, 12:03 AM   #8
elvislives

Thanks for all the info Electron and Signals Unlimited.Got 1 window in the east side, where living room is located. Patio on the west side.

Does this mean that Wineguard SS 3000 will not be able to get ABC and Fox in my current location?

just got this wineguard and will just need to return and get another antenna like you suggested, maybe the 4th option, the Terk HDTVa. I prefer indoor antenna. Leasing office might not like drilling in the patio area.

Last edited by elvislives; 13-May-2012 at 1:01 AM.
Old 13-May-2012, 1:11 AM   #9
elvislives

Can I use leaf plus amplified indoor antenna? Will it recieve ABC and Fox?

Thanks
Old 13-May-2012, 1:20 AM   #10
Electron

The way to find out about reception with ANY Antenna is to try it.
Put the SS3000 in or close to the east facing window.
The SS3000 antenna needs to be plugged in so the built in amplifier will work.
Face the SS3000 antenna out the window to the east.
And set the Tv to scan for channels. Having the Tv scan for channels is important , having a antenna at a location and not receiving a channel and then moving the antenna to a new location , the Tv needs to scan for channels to see what can be received.

The Tv stations to be received are to the north East and south East.

You will notice that the information is begining to repeat , the reason is , it is important.

A good place for SS3000 is in the East facing window facing out the window and scan for channels.

If you choose to try a antenna on the west patio move the antenna away from the building , the building is reducing/blocking reception to the East so getting a antenna clear of the building is important. Do not set the antenna on the ground , higher is better.
From here on out the information will repeat more and more.

Last edited by Electron; 19-May-2012 at 9:04 AM.
Old 13-May-2012, 1:28 AM   #11
Electron

The Leaf IS NOT a MAGIC Antenna I do not recommend using it , you will be disapointed.
Like many others that come here to tvfool you are pursuing ways to Not get Tv reception.
But then go ahead and try the Leaf you can even connect the leaf to as many antennas as you like.

The better course of action is to put the SS3000 in or close to the East facing window.
The reason is the Tv stations that you require to receive are to the East.

Last edited by Electron; 19-May-2012 at 9:07 AM.
Old 13-May-2012, 1:36 AM   #12
Electron

Did you notice that the HDX1000 looks like a small satellite dish on purpose. Are there any small satellite dishes on the outside of the building????
Old 13-May-2012, 2:37 AM   #13
elvislives

Yes they do have Dish satellite here in the buildings.

I followed your advice. Ss 3000 got a very good reception from the east facing the window. Very clear and crisp with CBS and NBC but still no ABC or FOX.
Old 13-May-2012, 4:57 AM   #14
Electron

The small satellite dishes are on the outside walls of the buildings?? .

Now if you choose to continue with reception inside the building with a antenna in or close to the East facing window , the next step is to put a Terk HDTVa antenna in or close to the East facing window aimed at about 90 degree magnetic compass.

The Terk HDTVa has the long metal rods that are extended/pulled out for receiving the VHF Tv channels , the long metal rods are more compatible with receiving channel 6 .

And the UHF antenna of the HDTVa is designed to improve UHF reception.

I can not say that the HDTVa will receive channel 6 ABC or channel 42 FOX.

However it is the best indoor type antenna to try for reception with HDTVa antenna in or close to the ground floor east facing window. Also the long apartment building to the east is reducing/blocking reception of the moderate and weak signal strength Tv transmissions to the East.
Thats way it is important to get a antenna up higher on the East outside of the building so a antenna can have a better 'look' at the Tv transmitting antennas.

Last edited by Electron; 19-May-2012 at 9:15 AM.
Old 13-May-2012, 1:33 PM   #15
elvislives

The satellite Dish Network of my neighbors are planted on the ground.

Got channel 42, wtxf- fox with the ss 3000. Just need ABC and life is complete. So in these case, Terk HDTVa will work better than SS 3000?

Thanks Electron.
Old 14-May-2012, 3:05 PM   #16
Electron

Is this one of the types and kinds of mounts used for the satellite dishes?? http://www.ronard.com/909911.html?? .
And how does the coax get from the satellite dish to the receiver , through a hole drilled through the wall ??

Last edited by Electron; 19-May-2012 at 9:15 AM.
Old 14-May-2012, 9:38 PM   #17
elvislives

Might get terk hdtva indoor antenna for now. But thanks a lot for all the info Electron! You' re great!

Last edited by elvislives; 14-May-2012 at 10:18 PM.