TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 12-Feb-2017, 10:50 AM   #1
fairfieldct

Fairfield County CT

Hi All,
I live in lower Fairfield county in CT, I want to get some suggestions for antennas please. My report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e6a45865f198c9

I'm looking to mount in the attic of my 1 floor house so probably about 20 ft high. I want to main NYC channels like WNBC, WABC, WCBS and pBS WNET/WLIW
Also it would be nice to the the nearby CT channels but it is not must e.g. WTNH, WVIT WFSB(might be too far?)

3 TV's.
fairfieldct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Feb-2017, 12:59 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

In southern CT, WFSB and WCBS often interfere with each other as they are on the same operating channel. Care must be taken to reject WFSB if reception from NYC is your goal. Otherwise you'd have to fall back to WCBS's channel 22 translator out on Long Island, another challenge if it must be pulled off as it would require a separate antenna and a specialty combiner for best results.

The feasibility of an attic install is going to depend on the truss layout in your attic, your attic's orientation relative to required antenna placement for the antenna(s) selected, and your immediate surroundings in the direction of the signal path(s).

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Feb-2017, 12:37 AM   #3
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

The signal loss in an attic is difficult to predict. Try a Winegard HD7694P in different places in your attic aimed at 242 deg magnetic. Make this a temporary test setup with just one TV before drilling any holes. If the signals are too weak, add a preamp.

Once you have good reception, add a splitter. If the signals become too weak, replace the splitter with a CM3414 distribution amp.

WTNH would require a second antenna aimed in another direction.

WVIT is too weak and has adjacent channel interference from WNJU on 36.

Forget about WFSB, it is too weak and has co-channel interference from WCBS also on 33.

Last edited by rabbit73; 13-Feb-2017 at 12:46 AM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Feb-2017, 11:08 AM   #4
fairfieldct

Thanks for the tips.

The more I think about it, I might not bother with the CT channels as they are mostly 180 in the other direction anyways.

Is it that much of a different putting the antenna on the roof as opposed in the attic? I will probably tackle this project this coming long weekend... Well maybe if the snow clears from the roof

Last edited by fairfieldct; 14-Feb-2017 at 11:12 AM.
Old 16-Feb-2017, 9:51 AM   #5
Stereocraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairfieldct View Post
Thanks for the tips.

Is it that much of a different putting the antenna on the roof as opposed in the attic?
Depending on reflections and absorption, probably 50%, or more.

Think about dried road salt spray on your windshield, w/ the sun hitting you head on. It's kind of like that.
Stereocraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Feb-2017, 11:45 PM   #6
fairfieldct

I put the Winegard HD7694P in the attic today aimed at about 240 degrees. The height is about 15 feet I guess. I tried various ranges from 200 to 250 to get the best receptions on my test tv I brought up to the attic. Results are ok but I'm not getting any reception for WNYW Fox 5 at all. Good clarity for WCBS, WNBC, WABC, WNET, NLIW and a bun others e.g. Spanish, Shopping channels. I'd really like to solve the WNYW problem.

Then I ran the RGS6 cable to the basement and connected it to the other TV there but lost WNBC and WLIW but gained WPIX. I'm guessing I need to get a Preamp like Winegard LNA-200 ? If I do, where should I place it? I read it should be near the antenna.

Also, I have an old Directv satellite dish still mounted on the gable of the house. I would say the height would actually be a little lower e.g. 12 feet. Is it worth trying the antenna there i.e. disconnecting the dish and using the mount in the same place and mount the antenna?
Old 19-Feb-2017, 1:53 PM   #7
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

First try a preamp at the antenna like an Antennas Direct Juice or a Channel Master 7778 with the power inserter in the basement. See how it does with one TV. Then add a passive 4-way splitter for more than one TV. It is also possible to use two 2-way splitters in cascade, which will allow more signal for one long run when you have 3 TVs.

If the signals are too weak after splitting, replace the splitter with a CM3414.

If you still can't get what you want with the antenna in the attic, try outside with no trees or buildings in the signal path.

Last edited by rabbit73; 19-Feb-2017 at 1:58 PM.
Old 25-Feb-2017, 7:41 PM   #8
fairfieldct

Update: I added the Winegard LNA-200 and boy did that do wonders. Now I the 3 tv's hooked up and the picture quality is great. Getting WCBS, WNBC, WNYW, WABC coming in crystal clear. It says it found 67 channels but 2 are music only and there are about 5 duplicates and about another 5 that are SD versions. And a bunch of Spanish channels I don't normally watch. Also getting WTNH(ABC in CT) which is a bonus. I have the Amazon Fire Stick on 2 TV's and have added Netflix and Hulu services to those.

I dropped off the 3 cable boxes to Cablevision today. What a relief!

Thanks all for all your tips.
Old 25-Feb-2017, 8:01 PM   #9
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Thanks for the report; glad to hear that is working well for you.