TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 11-Jan-2011, 1:19 PM   #1
Scott

Smile Roof antanna

I did the report http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...3cf4b92ac7c985 I have a roof antanna Antennacraft® HBU33 High-VHF/UHF Antenna it is mounted on a old dishnetwork post on the northeast corner on my house in the back yard need help aiming it and how high does it need to be from the top of my roof

thanks

Scott
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Jan-2011, 2:46 PM   #2
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
and how high does it need to be from the top of my roof

thanks

Scott
Start at the height of the J pole. Aim the antenna at 326°. If you find that CW is unreliable, raise the antenna, and/or add an HDP-269 preamp.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Jan-2011, 3:20 PM   #3
Scott

Roof Antenna

Thanks for your help on this. But do you mean by starting at the height of the j pole and also raise the antenna to what hieght and also what does CW mean.

thanks for your help on this

Scott
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Jan-2011, 3:52 PM   #4
GroundUrMast

"J pole" = "old dishnetwork post" Simply mount the antenna as high on the post as possible. If you need to mount higher, you will need to install a new mast.

"CW" = KUCW CH 48

In your first post you said,
Quote:
I ran the report... but I don't understand it can someone help me please. I am trying to get my Local station on my tv...
Your report shows that there are a group of stations about 29 miles to the NW of your location, on a heading of about 326° (314° compass). The report lists the estimated noise margin, NM(dB) for each listed station. If the listed NM plus the gain of your antenna add up to 10 or more, you can reasonably hope to see the station reliably if the antenna is aimed at it. There are other factors that can impact that general axiom. Here is a link regarding antenna aiming: http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

According to the Antennacraft web site, the HBU-33 antenna has about 7.5 dB gain on both UHF and high band VHF frequencies. Therefor, as I scan down the list, I would hope to see stations with NM figures as low as 2.5 dB. Again, the antenna needs to be correctly aimed and there could be noise and interference that would prevent successful reception. Usually, mounting an antenna higher will result in better reception... usually. In practice, you may need to simply experiment. Some installations can find dramatic differences with elevation changes of just a foot or two, others will see virtually no change in signal quality after moving the antenna all over the property.

The majority of the TV transmissions are now digital. So I need to ask if your TV has a digital tuner built in? If it does, you need to set the tuner to 'antenna' mode, not cable. The digital formats are not the same, if your TV has been connected to cable service, you will very likely need to change the tuner settings. The manual for your TV will explain how to do this, each TV model is unique to some degree. You can also try doing an internet search for the make and model.

If your TV is an older analog only set, you will need a set-top converter, which will tune and decode the digital signal from the antenna, then convert the signal to an analog format an older TV can display.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 11-Jan-2011 at 6:42 PM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote