View Single Post
Old 25-Apr-2014, 12:01 PM   #10
OTAonRockyTop

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
Even the large HBU-55 may not be enough to provide 100% reliable reception in the conditions you're describing. But, it gives you a far better chance. The attic may not be an awful location for reception, but you are giving up some precious signal quality... The only question is how much.
So the trees really are that big an issue, huh? I was hoping being 5 miles away from the towers would make this a piece of cake.

I am probably just going to mount it on the roof. I don't want to go too high, because I'd like to stay under the leaf canopy of the thickest trees I think. But I don't think I could reach the thickest part if I tried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfoolery View Post
You could use a smaller version, with wider beam width and lower gain, but trying to receive already weak and/or multipath signals from inside an attic that will further weaken and reflect/refract them is going to be tough I would think. But here's the web page, with links to the specs. These aren't the only ones out there either, of course.

http://www.antennacraft.net/Antennas/AntennasHBU.html
Can you explain multipath? Is that due to the trees blocking partial signal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Guy View Post
I'd be looking at the insulation in the attic to make sure there is no foil. It could be inside and visible or between the sheathing/roof deck and the siding or shingles.

You may simply try moving the antenna in the attic to find a "hot spot".

An amplifier is likely to make things worse. A small directional antenna (ANT-751 or HBU-11) is a better choice than the leaf clone.
There is no visible insulation in the attic. I can directly see the plywood, and it's an asphalt shingle roof. I think I will try a directional antenna.

So I won't need an amp for ~50 to 60 ft of coaxial split to 2 TV's?

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! I think I will try an HBU-22 sometime in the next couple weeks.
OTAonRockyTop is offline   Reply With Quote