View Single Post
Old 16-Aug-2016, 6:33 PM   #1
nickgalliart

Having trouble receiving VHF signals.

Hello,
I recently cut the cord. I installed a Winegard FlatWave FL6550A in in my attic with approx 60 feet of RG6 cable, the amp that came with it, and a 3-way splitter. With this setup I was able to receive all channels but KSNW-DT, it would go in and out.

After talking with Antenna's Direct, I purchased a DB8e, VHF retro Kit, and CDA4 Distribution amp. After this was set up, I now get all UHF stations with no issues (70-90%) however, all VHF stations are unwatchable (KAKE-DT, KPTS, and KSCW-DT). I have the DB8E hooked up into a VHF/UHF combiner, VHF retro Kit, approx 60ft RG6 cable to the Winegard amp that came with the FlatWave, then to CDA4 distribution amp. I use 3 outputs on the distribution amp and have one terminated. I have tried the set up with none of the amps, all of the amps, both of the amps, and with either the Winegard or CDA4 hooked up individually. I get the best gains with both the distribution amp and the Winegard connected. 23.xxDB vs. 26.xxDB. (these numbers are coming from the signal analyzer on my TV.

The DB8e is pointed at 204 degrees SW and I have tried the VHF kit in several locations and directions with no luck. The first VHF kit was thought to be bad after some testing with Antenna’s direct and they sent me a replacement. I hooked that kit up and now the channels, at times, try to come in a bit but are still unwatchable. After talking with the tech last night, she suggested that I try a FM bank reduction filter from their site. She said that I have 3 FM antenna’s within 2 miles of my location that could be causing the problem. My goal is to get the 3 VHF channels I listed above with my antenna staying in my attic with all my current UHF channels. The antenna has to penetrate plywood, and siding (nothing reflective that I know of) and a large oak tree about 30 yards from my house. Do any of you have a recommendation if the FM trap does not work? Any help and expertise would be appreciated! I will report back after I install the FM trap.

TV Fool report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e2cbffeedc94e2

FM fool report:
Image attached
Attached Images
File Type: png Radar-FM.png (96.9 KB, 703 views)

Last edited by nickgalliart; 16-Aug-2016 at 6:41 PM. Reason: FM Fool report was not showing.
nickgalliart is offline   Reply With Quote