View Single Post
Old 30-Jun-2014, 12:41 PM   #3
VapeAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanieS View Post
Greetings Vapeaddict,

It's nice to see you on an excellent track with your study of your situation!

A tower and guy wires are completely unnecessary. You have access to Raleigh Durham as well as Greenville/Jacksonville signals. Both could be serviced from a tripod mounted on your roof with a 10' mast.

It sounds as if you aren't picky about which market you receive. Do you have a preference? The stronger Greenville/Jacksonville signals arrive at three different headings as you have noted. Raleigh Durham signals have the benefit of being clustered together within in six degrees of each other to make, as you noted things less complicated.

For ease, I'll focus on Greenville/Jacksonville for the moment. Indeed a DB8e would be an excellent option for this situation. The VHF add on kit from antennas direct would also be a good choice. ADtech ought to be able to confirm that the VHF kit will work fine with the DB8e in split heading configuration. Your VHF signals are pretty good, so this should be plenty to receive.

Orientate the DB8e's first panel to magnetic 55 degrees (NE). The other I would aim to a heading of 120 (SE). No adjustment for VHF signals to my knowlege as the kit mounts to the back of the DB8e. I would expect all Greenville/Jacksonville signals to be reliable. No preamp is necessary.

There has been discussion about removing the panel screens on the DB8e in the past to make it more omni-directional. This does require some drilling. ADtech can again provide guidance here if this is worth it in this case.

Regarding coax, I bought a custom run of 100' solid copper core RG6 quad shielded, which has served me fine on my 91XG. Others will be able to answer your question a little more in depth. I'm not a coax guru. lol

I would set things up a little differently if you wanted to go for Raleigh. In this case, I'd have separate antenna systems with one feeding Greenville/Jacksonville and the other Raleigh you would then switch between them with a A/B switch in your home.

The easy in this case though is Greenville/Jacksonville and you can likely be quite successful with one antenna aimed properly.

Cheers.
Thank you for the reply Stephanie,
...however, by going with the Greenville & Jacksonville markets I will not be able to receive CW which I really want. I could get all stations that I want by going with Raleigh & Greenville though...BUT I can not use an A/B switch when hooking up to an OTA DVR. You don't think that the DB8e will be strong enough to split between Raleigh & Greenville because of the added distance involved in reaching Raleigh? If this would work, it would be the ideal situation.

If I have to give up a station that I want, I would rather give up ION...that would mean that I would need to pull from the Raleigh market only. I would guess that the combination antenna that would be needed in this case would probably be the AD 91XG with a Antennacraft Y10-7-13 pointed to 305 degrees OR POSSIBLY a WG HD7698P alone?...or how about the DB8e with dipole attachment used in full 8 bay mode? Any guess which of those three choices would be better? Also, if I use the combo 91XG setup, what would be the best combiner to use to join them together?

Thanks!

Last edited by VapeAddict; 30-Jun-2014 at 12:51 PM.
VapeAddict is offline   Reply With Quote