View Single Post
Old 4-Oct-2010, 5:03 AM   #4
MayfairWantsPBS39

Tigerbangs suggestion was

First of all, forget the MS-1000: it's a non-starter for VHF. Instead, use a

Winegard HD-5030 VHF antenna for your VHF needs: it has real gain, which the MS-1000 doesn't.

The Winegard HD-5030 seems like overkill. I don’t need much gain for VHF. As such I feel a smaller VHF antenna would be more appropriate.

Secondly, use a Winegard HDP-269 preamp instead of the 0068: the 0068 will overload severely on the Philly stations: the HDP-269 won't.

That will let me use the UHF for distant and local stations? Otherwise, it seems to me that I need to have 2 separate antennas, with separate leads, a UHF (91XG) antenna/pre-amp/rotor for NYC/ABE stations. A second VHF/UHF (MS-1000 or similar) antenna/shared rotor for local stations? And a A/B switch.

Use a Pico-Macom UVSJ antenna joiner to combine the 2 antenna signals into one coax cable before putting it into the HDP-269.

The AntennasDirect XG-91 is an excellent UHF antenna, and is directional enough to reject the Philly signals enough when aimed at NYC to give you a chance to see the NYC stations.

Do NOT use the Eagle-Aspen rotator: it is way too weak to turn an antenna system of this size! You can try a Channel Master 9521a or an AntennaCraft TDP-2, both of which have way more torque than the Eagle Aspen. yes, both need an additional cable, but are a far superior choice to the Eagle-Aspen for big antenna systems.

New York is going to be a challenge because the difference in signal strength between the Philly stations and the NYC stations. Theoretically, you should be able to see NYC, but, remember, the Philly stations are VERY strong at your location, and may cause the tuner in the TV to close down the AGC circuit in the TV, desensitizing the TV to weak signal. It's not certain, but it is a possibility.

NYC to Philly is 75 mi. For the last 20 mi. from Trenton to Philly, the signal may follow along the Delaware River. When the signal was analog, we could point the antennas toward the Tacony bridge which is about 3 mi. South.

It’s not certain, but possible. Signal strength is a concern. WWOR is rated at –2.2 dB. The highest gain antenna is 16.7 dB. That gives me a margin of 14.5 minus any loses.
MayfairWantsPBS39 is offline   Reply With Quote