View Single Post
Old 2-Oct-2011, 9:33 PM   #7
PhotoJim

Update...

I bought the Antennas Direct C5 as suggested. I thought I would try the antenna fully assembled at first, with the rods and reflector screen attached. A quick test in my living room revealed that it should work quite well!

I set it up in my attic a few minutes ago. For now it's just sitting on the ceiling joists. I'm going to hang it with nylon cord eventually. I've aimed it right at the Global site, so the back of it (the reflector side) is facing CBC and Radio-Canada, and the back is just off-axis from CTV's site.

My Panasonic TV tells me I'm getting CTV at 88%, CBC at 100%, Radio-Canada at 89% and Global at 92%. This is using the old antenna's RG56 cable, which I should probably replace, but it seems that many not be necessary. (I use RG6 to the TV from the basement, it's just the drop from the attic down the outside of the masonry chimney into the basement that's RG56.)

As an added bonus, despite being a VHF HI antenna, the antenna has sufficient gain that I can still use it for FM. Stations from 75 km/40 miles away that are hissy when using an in-room wire antenna are clean with the C5, just as they were with the old VHF attic antenna.

Thanks very much for the advice. It is greatly appreciated.

For the sake of the archives, I'm in the Regent Park neighbourhood of Regina, near Pasqua Street and 9th Avenue North.

Jim
PhotoJim is offline   Reply With Quote