View Single Post
Old 26-Apr-2021, 5:40 PM   #4
Victoria Whitsett

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post
Hello, Victoria; welcome to the forum.

We will try to help you as best we can.

It is true that some TVs can cause interference. Other devices can cause similar interference: AC adapters for laptop computers, battery chargers, and many types of lighting.

I think the most likely cause is the new types of lighting, like CFLs and LEDs.

I suggest you use a battery operated portable radio tuned to the AM broadcast band to hunt for sources of the interference. Most portable radios have a built-in antenna that is directional which might help you in hunting for a source. This is the one I use:

If you still can't locate the source of interference, or are unable to do anything about it even if you do know the cause, I suggest you listen to FM. That's what my sister does; she likes NPR.
Hi all. Thanks for your suggestions. I first tried an AM radio indoor antenna. I used the TERK Advantage. It got the best reviews. Their specs noted that if the cause of static was interference, it probably wouldn't work. Hoping against hope I ordered it anyway. Unfortunately, they were right.

I tried to measure how far the interference went. I live in a small apartment building with an outdoor car port. The interference goes throughout the building and into the car port. It stops just outside my window on the other side of the building.

My neighbor's car was vandalized in the carport, and I see he's installed a wifi camera on the nearby telephone pole. Could that be the problem?

Meanwhile, I'm taking the advice of my friend who posted above and am returning to NPR. When I just can't cope with their relentless political correctness, I turn everything off and listen to the quiet around me. Maybe that's the best solution.

Thanks so much, everyone.
Victoria Whitsett is offline   Reply With Quote