View Single Post
Old 26-Sep-2010, 12:31 AM   #1
rocklobster

Antenna worse on Roof than in attic! Please help

Hello,

I originaly had my antenna inside my attic but didn't have great results. Today I moved it to my chimney on the roof and it's worse! Here are the details:

This is my analysis from TV FOOL:

Antenna: Denny HD Stacker

Antenna height: 30 ft above ground
I am using rotor so I can tweak orientation.
Run about 40' to a grounding block. Our of the block another 10' to a Wineguard HDA 200 distribution amplifier. From the amp it runs to a 4 way splitter. From the splitter to the Plasma TV I am using to see performance is another 25'.

Grounded antenna below rotor down to groudning rod driven into dirt. Also tied the ground wire coming from the ground block mentioned above to this ground rod.

All RG6 solid core cable wire

Plasma has built in tuner. Typical signal strength on TV is 35-40 out of 100.

I still cannot pick up 2 or 4 at all (nothing comes in). 5 and 7 are a little stonger but pickelate (40/100 signal).

If 2, 4, 5, 7 are all coming off Empire State Building, why can I get 7 but can't see 2 or 4?

Am I using the wrong antenna? What other brand/model would be better?

Is the built in tuner on my Pioneer not as good as a separate set top box?

Am I just too far away from NYC to make this work? I'd hate to give up after spending the whole day on the roof with my Dad helping me.

I really want to tell my Cable company to get lost but need to at least see the major networks.

I'm discouraged! I've been working at this for a while now and I'm not making any headway. Any advice would be great.

Thanks,
Joe
rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote