View Single Post
Old 17-Oct-2018, 2:06 AM   #2
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer View Post
Hi, I've installed an antenna on my roof and was grounding it using the same terminal as the cable broadband connection. Cable guy said he didn't like that and cut my ground wire.

Does it somehow affect signal quality, put us in danger in some way, or was the guy just being a jerk?
He might have had a right to do it or he could have been a jerk. It depends upon how you made your connection. Can you show us a photo of what you did?

Quote:
In any case, I've also read that some places are only allowed one grounding rod per dwelling, so was hoping to get some expert advice on how I should proceed.

What's the best approach to grounding an antenna in northern NJ?
The NEC code is only a suggestion. The local AHJ (Authority Having Jurisdiction), who is usually the electrical inspector, can say how it should be done. His interpretation becomes the law that is binding on you and the local electricians.

The code says that a second grounding rod may be used IF it is bonded to the house grounding rod with 6 gauge copper wire.

If the antenna is outside, the coax shield should be grounded with a grounding block that is connected to the house electrical system ground with 10 gauge copper wire for electrical safety and to reject interference. For further compliance with the electrical code (NEC), the mast should also be grounded in a similar manner to drain any buildup of static charge which will tend to discourage a strike, but the system will not survive a direct strike.

The latest device to ground multiple services is the IBTB. It has a lay-in clamp for the house grounding conductor without disconnecting the house grounding conductor even for a moment, which would be dangerous. Previously, split bolts were used to make individual grounding connections to the house grounding conductor.

The electrician on This Old House (PBS} showed how to install an IBTB.

As you can see, there are many screws to make connections by you and the cable guy.

Last edited by rabbit73; 17-Oct-2018 at 2:31 AM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote