View Single Post
Old 7-Aug-2014, 3:05 PM   #13
stvcmty

Quote:
Originally Posted by agmccall View Post

I have a conduit under ground to the house that I could run cable through and in the basement I have coax that the electrician ran for 4 different tv's, I could install a splitter at that spot

Thanks Again

al
Is anything else in the conduit between the house and the detached garage? I don’t think a coax can share a conduit with power cables.

Does the detached garage have its own electrical panel with ground rod?

Mounting the antenna on the detached garage is possible, but there may be some extra considerations for grounding to prevent ground loops and a possible situation where the coax shield is carrying ground fault current.

The coax from an antenna needs to go through a discharge device or a grounding block. The mast an antenna is mounted on needs to be grounded. Electrical grounding and sub panels has special rules. I highly recommend you consult an electrician and an antenna installer to make sure everything is safely grounded. It is possible you can do it right yourself, or people on this forum could walk you through it, but we would need to know exactly what you had and if any detail was left out or if something was wired wrong when the house or the garage were built, all the advice on a forum goes out the window.
stvcmty is offline   Reply With Quote