View Single Post
Old 26-Mar-2019, 12:53 AM   #1
bobsgarage
Antenna Enthusiast

2 CM4228's combined?

Hi all,

I would like feedback from all members here!

I live near the Wisconsin border, still in Illinois, 39 miles north of Chicago and 46 miles south of Milwaukee. Here in Illinois, it's not so common to see rooftop or towered antennas. I guess we got cable several years earlier than WI or is it that the Chicago market was/is more desirable than Milwaukee and less people had rooftop antennas and just let them got to hell and junked them on the next re-roof?

Anyhow, I'm kind of an antenna spotter.

Just across the state line is Kenosha WI. Antenna-town USA.

Kenosha is former home of Nash then Rambler, AMC and then Chrysler. And Kelvinator AMC refrigerator division. All are gone now. Snap-on tools has worldwide headquarters there. 100,000 strong, mostly single residence. Lot's of antennas.

Anyhow, Kenosha has the most antenna towers I've ever seen. It's like an outdoor antenna museum, stuff from the 50's, most still aimed in the proper orientation either towards Chicago or Milwaukee. I see a lot of old antenna pairs also opposed, pointed at either city. I always wonder how well they work. My luck with combing antenna was very spotty.

Lately, as I gaze skyward have been seeing a hell of a lot of 8 bay antennas, very shiny, a lot are new, doubled up and set up in opposed directions. This must be working for my area.

So, here's my question, as I may ultimately do something similar.

Even though these are matching antennas I wonder what luck they have by combining them? Or are they? Maybe separate inputs at the TV?

Why not just remove the reflectors and get both directions since Chicago is 168 south and Milwaukee 353 north? This almost 180 degrees opposite.

Just think, in a perfect world they could remove the reflectors, combine the antennas and increase the strength.

I also see this combination a lot, the famous "crazy 8's" as I call them, the C4 & C4-Max:

Here's a typical TV Fool report for the area:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...903811d4bb07df
Any opinions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190314_174735a.jpg (115.3 KB, 2802 views)
File Type: jpg 20190314_174630 a.jpg (167.0 KB, 2695 views)
File Type: jpg 20190323_161308a.jpg (331.1 KB, 2683 views)
File Type: jpg 20190314_174400 (2).jpg (72.7 KB, 4047 views)

Last edited by bobsgarage; 26-Mar-2019 at 3:04 AM. Reason: More boring details.
bobsgarage is offline   Reply With Quote