View Single Post
Old 19-Dec-2014, 1:15 PM   #2
timgr

I don't see any green stations. The best you have are yellow ca 15-30 dB NM. Nothing is LOS.

It seems like the color designations (ie indoors, attic, outdoors, impossible) are quite optimistic in most cases. Clearly, if you have say 50 dB NM, you are near certain to pick that up on an indoors antenna, as long as you aren't otherwise obstructed. The report takes no account of other local obstructions, like buildings and trees, and the building materials of your home. Wood frame and vinyl or wood siding are likely the most favorable possibility, as long as you don't have foil in the walls or aluminized bubblewrap or such in the way.

Considering that you're not keen on a big rooftop array (like I have now), in your case I'd probably go big and try for the attic installation. All the stations at heading 160 that you might realistically hope to get are UHF, so I'd pick an Antennas Direct DB8e and point both panels that way. If that does not work out, you can move the antenna to the rooftop. Put the antenna with both panels pointing at heading 160, well clear of any wires, piping, chimneys etc in the attic.
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote