View Single Post
Old 8-Nov-2015, 7:47 PM   #28
StephanieS

Greetings,

Yes, for ease of help by the folks here, starting a new thread scatters everyone. It makes your situation easier to handle keeping all the relevant information in one thread gives you the best chance at continued assistance.

This situation is odd to me. It has been mentioned in this thread that trees are a significant issue, especially on UHF. Your signals are trending weak so any tree obstruction would concern me. With the equipment you purchased, you should doing well. Also, with larger antenna you purchased, it is directional. Hence, with all its signal gathering ability pointed at Albany I would expect Utica to not show up. Antennas, especially directional large antennas have a beam like a flashlight which is their primary focus to "see " signals. Looking at your plot, Albany would be the only market I'd concentrate on. Utica is simply too weak based on this plot to invest any time in.

Suggestions:

1. Test Winegard antenna at location where cheapie RCA antenna is. Remember with trees and weak signals you may be playing around with various locations to find sweet spot. Coax to one TV only for purposes of test.
2. Give up on Utica completely. Albany is and remains your best bet as has been suggested to you.
3. If no success, get above tree line completely. This may mean a 40' mast anchored to the side of the house, or a tower that clears the tree line.

TV antenna installation can be a bit of a black art. Each installation is different and obstructions can cause reception problems, both seen and unseen. Lesson: you have to keep testing if you don't have the desired results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agmccall View Post
Well, I am no better off than before, in fact, worse off.

Any suggestions..

I went back to my $29.00 RCA antenna (Looks like a Shark Fin) mounted on the east side of my house and picks up the Utica stations, west of me. I would have thought over $200.00 worth of antenna equipment would have at least gotten me decent reception considering the antennas I am pointing at are closer than the ones in Utica

al
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote