Thread: day db8
View Single Post
Old 25-Aug-2014, 2:57 AM   #14
rhinoslim

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
Based on your TV Fool reports, I would expect a large antenna is needed. Rather than dwelling on the physical size, look at the gain. Reputable antenna vendors will provide plausible gain figures for their products. Don't believe gain figures of 20 and 30 dB. I can only think of one commercial antenna that legitimately claims more than 20 dB of gain... It's a custom built double parabolic dish array from Wade. Each of the dishes are about 8' in diameter and the tower needed to support the thing should be engineered. The GH and M4 designs qualify as 'large' antennas based on their gain. Store bought antennas such as the Winegard HD7698P, Antennacraft HBU-44 & HBU-55, together with the combinations of Antennas Direct DB8E + Antennacraft Y10713 or Antennas Direct 91XG + Y10713 would offer similarly 'large' performance.
Okay, I would like to keep it compact if that is even possible. Do you think the GH10n3 would provide enough gain for at least receiving some major network signals, based on my report? I don't mind building it. I drew up the measurements yesterday. Im just wondering if it be worth the time.

On the bright side, my diy db8 is recieving signals, ABC, Fox, and others (even with the shorter length whiskers) it just has a tendency to go out for no apparent reason after a while. very unreliable.

So, If I am getting signals with that, then the GH10n3 should do a better job, right?
rhinoslim is offline   Reply With Quote