View Single Post
Old 14-Oct-2013, 3:13 AM   #1
niteowl

Low signal strength, and recommendations for an antenna?

Greetings!
Before we get started, please take a look at my signal analysis.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae2c11abd1f4

I’ve been working to improve my OTA signal with an antenna I found in my attic.
http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=13686

My first attempts were an attic mount, but we all know this is a less than ideal location, so it was relocated to my rooftop atop an old Directv mount on a 5ft mast, and pointed using a regular magnetic compass. This clears the peak rooftop, and more importantly leaves plenty of breathing room for the antenna in the direction that the signals are coming from:

The arrow shows the direction of 300* magnetic azimuth and the placement on my rooftop. I chose to set it to 300* to “split the difference” between channels (13 & 21) and (38 & 44). The antenna seems to pick up channel 19 off the back just fine.

Now here’s my problem. When the antenna was in the attic, I had issues with a weak signal (30-50) and fluctuating SNR #’s for channels 38 and 44. I figured it was multi-path effects from being in an attic.

After mounting it outside, much to my surprise, I’m experiencing the exact same effects. Except now I don’t see the fluctuating SNR #’s as much. Bottom line… I’m having issues with channel 38 and 44. I’m starting the think that maybe this antenna wasn’t designed to see much past 600Mhz? As this is where those two channels are. Or perhaps my antenna doesn’t have the gain that I require?

The other channels show a fairly decent signal, with good error free SNR #’s
Channel 13 = Signal Strength of 60-70
Channel 21 = Signal Strength of 90
Channel 19 = Signal Strength of 50-60

I have brand new RG6 cable running from the antenna, down about 25ft to my basement. Here a PCT-MA2-4P splits the signal to 2 TV’s. One follows a 50ft run of RG6, and the other follows a 50ft run of RG59u. The signal meters on both TV’s show consistent #’s of one another.

Any advice for my current setup?

Any advice for another antenna with more gain that will pick up UHF from both directions, and the VHF channel 13? I have a 2ft section of 1.5” outside diameter mast for mounting.

Thanks for your time.
niteowl is offline   Reply With Quote