View Single Post
Old 27-Feb-2016, 3:48 PM   #12
G-Star

I installed a 5 ft tripod astride the peak of my 12:12 pitch gable roof with ridge at 30 ft AGL and installed the 7698 on a 6 ft mast (galvanized steel chain link fence post) aiming it by guess and by gosh via the compass app of my helper's smart phone.

I ran the quad shield RG-6 to the ground block previously used by the Dish Sat TV so I didn't have to do any wiring inside the house as the two used locations were the same as were used for Sat TV. I cut o0ff te excess and put on a new F connector and waterproofed the connector with electrical tape and tie wraps. Both TV's (using one splitter) got 28 stations but several were pixilated at least part of the time. I repurposed a 12 dB amp previously used in the Sat TV lashup and put it ahead of the splitter. Reran both TV scans and both get 34 rock solid stations. The cluster of stations I aimed at in OKC have a spread of azimuths of only 3 degrees. I skipped the rotator install.

I then installed my new Magnazox DVR with DVD player/burner which has 2 tuners and can record two shows simultaneously to DVD or its internal Terrabyte or an external USB connected drive. It kept trying to use the non existing external drive and only stations that were xx-1 had good audio. XX-2, XX-3, etc were pinched, tinny, and several dB down. This was live or as recorded and played back from a DVD from off the air.

Called tech support, tried a couple more things and tech support emailed me a pre-payed shipping label to return the unit. they will send me a new unit. Arghhh, infantile failure... Oh well, just a few weeks and I will be doing delayed time shifted viewing of commercial free TV (via fast forward.)

Anyone wonder how a mid 70's guy got up 30 ft AGL on a 45 degree slope roof?
28 ft extension ladder laying flat on the roof and a helper standing on the less dangerously sloped porch roof with one foot preventing the ladder from skiing down the roof.

The 3 sticky both sides sealant pieces purchased to seal the holes in the roof were to fit a smaller tripod and didn't cover the wider hole spread of the 5 ft tripod (vs 3 foot tripod.) The three footer has two holes per swivel foot but the five footer has three each. Lags spun too easily so I drilled 5/8 holes and used 1/4 inch toggle bolts, three per leg. I use GE 50 year silicone sealant, generously under, on, and around the feet and fasteners.

Thanks to all who responded. I got 'er done and with luck everything I put up on the roof will last a good long time. Oh... The SAT TV guy grounded the coax ground block to a breaker box for my stand by generator. Meets code, I guess but doesn't meet my requirements so I put an 8 ft copper clad ground rod in and hooked that to their ground connection.

Thanks again,

Patrick
G-Star is offline   Reply With Quote