View Single Post
Old 30-Dec-2013, 7:46 AM   #3
StephanieS

BrooklinOTA,

GroundUrMast makes excellent points.

I'll add that a concern I'd have in adding a preamp in your situation is the strong local signals you have. GUM's suggestion of the RCA preamp is excellent because of it is more forgiving of overloading. However, those stronger signals depending on your tuner could lessen reception. It is something to brace for. He is also spot on in that a preamp isn't an extension of an antenna. It primarily overcomes system loss.

The digiwave 8 bay, appears to be Solid Signal Xtreme Signal HDB8X copy. Before I spend any money, I'd take the antenna outside and perform some tests. Through testing determine if NBC reception becomes reliable or not. Attics are bad news for TV reception overall. You are introducing a solid object between antenna and signal. You are doing well even seeing NBC in my opinion. Normally anything below 15 db can be unreliable in an attic installation.

For the reliable reception out of Buffalo, the 8 bay antenna ought to be outside mounted on your roof free of obstructions pointing at about magnetic 170 for testing purposes.

You can likely point right at Buffalo and maintain your Toronto local reception. You might even gain a US signal or two.

Regards.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote