Thread: Antenna Newbie
View Single Post
Old 7-Apr-2011, 8:04 AM   #17
dsmguy7

Thanks John. Anyone else care to answer my questions? Also, can we link pictures here? I have a weird situation with being in a hole and trees behind me (to the east) where I need to point the antenna. I'm debating on a roof mount versus a telescoping pole mast concreted into the ground and bracketed to the eave. According to the install instructions that I have read you are supposed to keep the antenna away from power lines by twice the length of the mast plus twice the length of the antenna. Is this just for distribution lines or the line coming into my house because that line is insulated. I would like to keep the antenna close to the house ground, but if I have to follow that rule a 30 ft. mast with the RCA ANT751 would have to be kept about 66 ft. away from the house ground. Can a 10 ft. roof mount mast not be guy wired? My roof peak is 15 ft. above ground so that would put me at 25 ft. If I do the roof mount how do you run the ground wire (just along the roof and off the eave with a stand off?)? I also found out that the house does not have cat 5 cable and that that is a network cable. The previous owner had said that there was cat 5 and I saw CATV on the line and thought it was cat 5. I have some sort of Comm-scope Tri-shield rg6 (model #: F677TSVV) UL CATV 18 AWG. Is this good?
dsmguy7 is offline   Reply With Quote