View Single Post
Old 24-Mar-2013, 7:39 AM   #14
geobrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
Have you ever 'tested' reception with the antenna outside, clear of the various impairments of roof and building construction? As already mentioned, your HOA does not have standing to create or enforce rules that prohibit you from using an antenna. http://www.fcc.gov/guides/over-air-r...n-devices-rule

Your report strongly suggests that you'll need to avoid artificial obstructions if you're going to have success.
I don't really want to put it outside even if the law allows it. I didn't try it outside but I was tempted to do it just to see if I could get KNBC while it was outside the attic. I didn't do it because whether I got it or not, I'd have to take it apart to put it in the attic anyway. I decided to skip that and just put it in the attic.

I'm not sure the attic is the problem though. I know it's not the ideal place for it, but I'm getting every other channel with good signal strength. They all come from practically the same location on Mt. Wilson so why is KNBC bad but KCBS good? KCBS has the lower NM value yet still gets into the attic with plenty of strength.

I'm going to try some things later today and see what happens. I'll take the converter box up there and connect it to a monitor so I can see the changes in signal strength as I move the antenna.

By the way, your user name, "GroundURMast", is that a recommendation that improves performance or is it a safety thing?

Last edited by geobrick; 24-Mar-2013 at 7:43 AM. Reason: added the question about grounding masts.
geobrick is offline   Reply With Quote