View Single Post
Old 25-May-2011, 6:09 PM   #29
sdubb

Are you reporting the signal strength indicated by the HDHR Config (GUI) utility? Yes
Is your VHF antenna combined with the XG-91? If so, how? I dont have a proper way to combine them so I have just been disconnecting and reconnecting to see where I was sitting at. I tried to combine it with a splitter to see what would happen but that didnt work, it seemed to only be using my VHF/UHF antenna. Basically I lost channel 15 when I used the splitter.
Have you optimized the point of aim, antenna tilt and experimented with elevation of the antenna? Yes The XG-91 is very directional and you need to have put every reasonable effort into putting it on target.

You said earlier that you had not purchased an amplifier yet. For the money, Antennas Direct CPA-19 and PA-18 beats all but the very expensive special order preamps for noise figure. In this case the published numbers for the 10G221 are about 1 dB worse... not a lot, but if you have not spent money on an amp yet... I will look into it

The CPA-19 has better tolerance to high input levels than the PA-18. I did not suggest either amplifier earlier, because neither has separate VHF and UHF inputs. Both AD amps are capable of UHF and VHF but will require an inexpensive external UVSJ.

Because you are 'on the edge' I would revise my preamp suggestion from the 10G221 and suggest the CPA-19. Yours may be a case were every dB of noise figure is going to count.

The down side is that you may need a separate amp for VHF signals. I would try 'amping' the UHF antenna alone. Joining the two antennas with the UVSJ UHF port on the output side of the preamp. You lost me on this one... My VHF channels are 20-30 higher than any of my UHF

All of this after you have searched for the very best aim, nose tilt and antenna mounting elevation.[/QUOTE]
sdubb is offline   Reply With Quote