View Single Post
Old 26-Apr-2011, 8:11 PM   #18
mtownsend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdubb View Post
I have always lived in Phoenix so I didnt need anything to crazy to get channels, now that I am 50 or so miles away its a whole new ballgame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
It looks like the hills adjacent to Casa Grande park are blocking your view toward the Salt River Mountains were the transmission towers are located. The elevation in the Arizona City area is about 1500' MSL. The peaks of the Casa Grande hills are over 2200' MSL. That means that you could build a 500' tower and still be blocked by terrain.
In open terrain, even 50 miles is usually easy to deal with. In most cases, you can go up to about 60-70 miles before you start running into horizon (curvature of the Earth) problems.

However, as GroundUrMast correctly pointed out, your signal appears to be weaker because you've moved deeper "into the shadows" of the local mountains. Perhaps the following pictures of your zip code (85223) will help you visualize what is happening (blue is weak signal, and violet is very weak signal):

KAET (RF 8, virtual 8.1)

KNXV (RF 15, virtual 15.1)

KPPX (RF 51, virtual 51.1)

You'll notice that at the edges of the "shadows", even a small change in location can result in a big change in signal strength.

The good news is that with GroundUrMast's suggestions, you should be able to make up the difference with a high gain antenna and pre-amp.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 85223-KAET.jpg (179.3 KB, 1838 views)
File Type: jpg 85223-KNXV.jpg (180.8 KB, 1790 views)
File Type: jpg 85223-KPPX.jpg (181.8 KB, 1818 views)
mtownsend is offline   Reply With Quote