View Single Post
Old 13-Aug-2023, 1:10 PM   #11
mikecandu

All,

After a 3 (?!) year delay I've finally gone ahead and purchased the Stellar Labs 30-2476. I did some experimenting to determine if the LNA I purchased could be powered via a Bias T. The spec sheet says it can and I verified that it does work and also provides decent amplification to a small indoor antenna. I used an old Homerun HDHR-US to verify I was getting a picture and using the software as a signal meter.

Goal with High VHF antenna and what I get with existing DB8E

It's a little late but here are some comments on people's posts:

Rabbit73

With my testing I used a dogs breakfast of SMA to BNC to F type Coaxial. I finally found what's in your picture attached to your SDR radio, SMA pigtail to bulkhead F coaxial. That should allow the pre-Amp to fit into a small aluminium die cast enclosure that I can mount outdoors close to the antenna.

The signal quality is low (but the signal strength is decent) but I was using the rabbit years on my DB8E. I should get much higher VHF gain with the new antenna and pre-amp.

AKADAP

THE HDHR-US tuner I'm using is old. It doesn't seem to have a web interface like the newer ones. I use Windows Media Center as my DVR not MythTV. Integrating the VHF tuner with my original HDHR tuner that my DB8E is connected to might be a challenge, but I think it's doable. It's seems possible as you use multiple HDHR tuners.

Bobsgarage

It seems like you've had some good luck with the Stellar Labs 30-2476. I've seen good reviews online. I'm not expecting miracles but I think there is some hope. My existing "rabbit ears" pick up a weak VHF 13 out of Kitchener Ontario and rabbitears.tv does show (weak) coverage in my area for both WBBZ (7) and WNYB (5). In the worst case I'll consider it a science experiment and I'll be out $200 and some time.

Will post more later when I get the antenna.

Mike
mikecandu is offline   Reply With Quote