View Single Post
Old 29-Aug-2015, 5:52 PM   #9
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Quote:
7.1 comes and goes upstairs is steady on downstairs.
Sounds like that difference is caused by the coax loss for upstairs. Try replacing the splitter with a Channel Master 3412 distribution amp, and rescan for channels on the upstairs TV.

Quote:
However I do still have the Sadelco meter.
Try to make some signal level measurements with it. I have a Sadelco DisplayMax 800 that doesn't measure below -20 dBmV, so I put a preamp before it when measuring weak signals. Sometimes I use a CM3410 which gives me 15 dB gain and sometimes I use a CM7777 (old model) that gives me 25 dB gain. I subtract the gain from the meter reading to get the signal strength.

Most tuners will drop out around -85 dBm which is equal to -36.2 dBmV. Your tvfool report gives signal power in dBm, but your meter reads in dBmV. The conversion factor is 48.8 to convert from one to the other. To make a quick mental conversion I use 50.

My latest Sony KDL32R400A has a diagnostics screen that gives signal strength, SNR, and errors. I made a calibration chart using my Sadelco meter with a variable attenuator and a splitter feeding the TV and the meter at the same time using OTA signals. What's really neat is that the signal strength scale had one dB steps.

My first Sony KDL22L5000 also gives readings, but over a smaller range.

The meter on the left is a Sadelco 719E that I bought when I retired in 1988. It is designed to measure analog signals, but is entirely satisfactory to make relative measurements of digital signals. The meter on the right is a DisplayMax 800 that I bought after the conversion from analog to digital.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg SSCHART KDL32R400A.JPG (118.4 KB, 1243 views)
File Type: jpg SONYSSVSdBmVchart2.jpg (150.2 KB, 1219 views)
File Type: jpg 2SLMs.jpg (52.3 KB, 11212 views)

Last edited by rabbit73; 29-Aug-2015 at 6:45 PM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote