View Single Post
Old 15-Aug-2020, 5:04 PM   #14
rsw1941

Great Information

OTAfan, AKAdap, rabbit73,

Many thanks for all of the detailed information. (Been meaning to acknowledge Lord Kelvin's assertion. Like it!)

rabbit73, perhaps there's a way we can communicate offline, and not bore others. Open to exploring that.

All,

I'm back to looking at how to improve the GoesInta signal to the mast-mounted preamp. The next time I can persuade my son to pull the mast down, I'll focus on that bit.

I see that CM reports their CM-3203 balun is superior to all others, but doesn't give actual specs. A lower insertion rate would certainly be desirable if it's measurable. There are at least two changes that can be made to the manner of connecting the balun to the VHF section of the CM-3020. Remove the feed-thru connectors entirely and drill and attach at the element joint, and/or replace the balun with the best I can buy.

rabbit73, I'd seen the video you referenced but ignored it because he discussed UHF signals only. However, the observation about the balun touching an element is basically what I did, and that will be changed. I've attached an image that shows detail on the current arrangement

I covet feedback.

This has all been incredibly informative. Though it'll be awhile before we get back up on the roof, I'll be sure to report what I learn.

Regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CM3020-VHFonlySmall.jpg (453.1 KB, 748 views)

Last edited by rsw1941; 15-Aug-2020 at 5:08 PM.
rsw1941 is offline   Reply With Quote