View Single Post
Old 21-Aug-2016, 7:23 PM   #4
wizwor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cflannagan View Post
Hmmm.. didn't realize about the UHF vs VHF performance in antennas - someone recommended the directional antenna (HDB4X) to me when I was having issues with the omnidirectional antenna; now it sounds like I might need to return not just 1 but 2 antennas :-D
Frequency, gain, and beam width are the key characteristics of an antenna. Generally, antennas respond to UHF, VHF-HIGH, or VHF-LOW. All-in-one antennas are generally combinations of these. Given the narrow beam in which all your broadcasters reside, the fact that most are LOS (Line of sight), and the relative power of the signal coming in, you probably do not need to worry about gain all that much. I would try to make things work without any amplifier with a better antenna.

You really want to google each call sign in your list, check the wiki for sub-channels, and check titantv.com for programming. Make a list of the channels you want to receive. Group your list by frequency band (2-6, 7-13, 14+). Chances are Rabbit's suggested antenna will do just fine.

Quote:
The antenna feeds to 3 TVs in our house. The powered amplifier sits inside our garage attic, between the antenna and the splitter (going to 3 of our TVs). Not sure how long the coax is. Guesstimating maybe 10 to 20 yards from the antenna to the furthest TV in our house (our master bedroom)?
This will not make any difference as long as it's the right cable and your connectors are sound.

Quote:
When you say "try it first" - try what first? I was wondering if you were referring to the grounding for the coaxial cable, or something else?
Definitely ground first -- this is a safety issue -- but he was suggesting you try a new antenna with the current height before raising the antenna higher. Both the antenna/mast and the coax need to be grounded.

Quote:
For the HD7694P, would I be able to mount it in that kind of mast I have up there right now? Looks like that "yagi-style antenna" is designed mainly for top of roof, which is not an option for me (not due to HOA, but not wanting to void the roof warranty by screwing something thru the rooftop - we recently had our roof replaced).
That should be fine as long as the antenna is not too close to the roof. That roof is ceramic not metal, right?
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote