View Single Post
Old 17-Jan-2010, 2:24 PM   #19
herplace

Hey folks,
Thanks for the encouragement and size specs. I actually think the floor area of the attic (with an eventual protective, open (to the antenna farm) ended shelf could handle the spread you describe. I almost sprang for 50' of RG6 coax during some errands but priced the stuff @ $45 and thought I'd check to see if that was a fair price. (I haven't found my missing spool yet) Just to satisfy my curiosity I had other expenses to cover and decided to hold off.
I finally got up there with the best compass I could find handy and drew the cardinal points and some degrees on the floor and found the boom pointing towards the 250* heading. I redirected the boom to 235* and checked the reception: No big change that I can tell. The new setting may improve the poor weather reception. I guess I'll find that out later today.
Would it be crazy to try to "build ones own " antenna? Considering as I understand it seems that the vhf is the only portion of signal that I could hope to gather from this location, I was wondering if the parts I do need could be assembled without the uhf end to get in the way. It looks much more simple. The picture submitted is similar to the antenna that is now in the attic except the vhf elements have a forward sweep from the boom so they are not perpendicular to the boom. At the present heading there is only another extended foot the longest elements could "grow" but this is quite close to the ridge of the roof. Once lowered either on a mast (upside down) or somehow set up in this yet to be designed shelf arrangement there is indeed much more room. As far as a "home brew" I only have vague notions of what exactly might be needed. Essentially copying something and trying to get it right. Ancient stories of making use of whatever there is around to achieve the desired result have me intrigued. What do you think?
Thanks, still looking for a misplaced spool of RG6,
herplace
herplace is offline   Reply With Quote