View Single Post
Old 30-Nov-2011, 9:56 PM   #7
Jammer

Well everything showed up yesterday and after numerous trips up to the peak of the roof everything's put together. I have to put some sealant on some of the F connectors, which I forgot -- but at least I remembered the one I can't reach. My wife is acrophobic and I ended up doing this without any help.

You can see Manitou Hill in the background of one of the photos, just slightly to the left of the line of houses.

Reception is better than I expected with both VHF stations being very strong and the "must have" UHF stations also being very strong. The lowest s/n of the "must haves" is 19.2 according to the calculator. In addition I am now receiving KPXM digital reliably (2.7 calculator s/n) as well as analog station K43HB (1.1 calculator s/n). Two weaker analog stations are providing noisy but still viewable signals, WUMN (-16.8 in the calculator) and K14KH (-27.8 in the calculator).

I haven't used tripod mounts before. I've always used a mast foot and guy wires. But I opted for a tripod this time after reading up on best practices and also because the roof is fairly steep and lacks much usable ridgeline for placement of guy anchors. I have the tripod feet bolted to the roof deck with 2" fender washers and locknuts on the attic side. I'm not entirely sure whether that's overkill or insufficient or just right, and would invite any suggestions. It's a 10' mast.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote