View Single Post
Old 22-May-2014, 4:02 PM   #18
OTAonRockyTop

Just thought I would update this.

The HBU22 was pretty successful in the attic. I get no more dropouts except during really severe winds, which has only happened once since I've been sporadically watching in the past month.

I would love to get a 30 foot antenna and mount it outdoors, but this setup is GF/wife approved, and gets us 95% of the way there, so this is what we will stick with for the foreseeable future.

How can I tell if my setup needs amplification now? Signal appears strong, except my ABC broadcast appears grainy with some artifacts. It may just be their broadcast quality.

Right now, I'm only running the antenna to the living room TV, but it will be split and run to the bedroom TV in the future. I don't see a time that we will ever be watching both at the same time, if that affects signal strength. We rarely use the network channels.

I'm hoping that by the fall (football season), when we really have a need for the network channels, the leaves will have fallen for the most part and not even strong winds will interrupt our signal.

Also, I haven't really aimed and mounted the antenna yet. It's just sitting in the attic right now pointed approximately towards the towers. I'm hoping that a proper mounting and aiming of the antenna will help to alleviate the very rare signal dropouts as well.

My neighbors' setup with rabbit ears gave me good enough signal to watch March Madness without many dropouts when there were no leaves on the trees, so I have confidence that once they fall my signal will improve.
OTAonRockyTop is offline   Reply With Quote