View Single Post
Old 24-Apr-2014, 3:03 PM   #1
OTAonRockyTop

Attic Antenna with trees

So I recently cut the cord after doing the math on what I'm paying to watch the occasional sports game and some old re-runs. It doesn't make sense. I don't like making threads and asking to be spoon fed info, but I've read plenty of threads and it seems that I would be better off asking for application specific advice.

After my Roku box, the only thing I need TV for is live sports. So I'm really only interested in the networks, i.e. WATE, WVLT, WTNZ and WBIR. Here is my tvfool report:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e1c6873a1bf21a

Seeing that I'm 5 miles from the broadcast signals, I figured this would be a simple deal, so I got a Mohu Leaf for the living room and an Amazon knockoff of the Leaf for the bedroom. Well, it turns out that I can't get a decent signal with these. Both signals cut out about once every 10 seconds like clockwork.

Being ignorant at the time, I thought amplification would fix my problems, so I bought a preamp from Walmart. Just a little RCA deal, not sure of the model number, but I'm hoping to be able to return it as it did nothing to help the problem.

I have a direct LOS to the ridge with all the towers on it, but I think my main concern is that my back yard is a tropical rainforest. And there's no way possible to mount an antenna anywhere on my property to avoid the signal passing through the tree line, short of a 100+ foot tall antenna.

My girlfriend is convinced that we don't even need TV, even though she's a huge college football fan, and I've tried to tell her that we won't see any games next season without network channels. Anyway, I've promised her I would do everything within my power to avoid an "ugly" outdoor antenna. It is an option, but I would like to try an attic install first.

I see that I have one channel I want that is VHF High, with the rest being UHF, and that is WBIR (NBC). Thankfully, everything I want to pick up is broadcast from about 320 degrees to mag N.

Sorry for the long lead-in, but can anyone suggest a good antenna that may work for me in the attic, and is a larger antenna going to help me with my tree line problem? I plan to split the signal to both TV's in the house, and eventually may add a third in the spare bedroom. The coaxial runs will be approximately 40 feet to the longest TV if attic mounted. Add another 20 feet or so for a roof mounted installation. What other equipment might I need? Any advice is appreciated.
OTAonRockyTop is offline   Reply With Quote