View Single Post
Old 5-Nov-2015, 6:14 PM   #14
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Quote:
Could the trees, hill and tower be causing multipath issues that the MCE tuner can't handle, but the Vizio can?
Yes, multipath issues and weaker signals.
Quote:
Would putting a larger Yagi antenna (like a CM-3018) or a bowtie DB8 solve this issue?
The 3018 is a huge antenna that covers VHF-Low, real channels 2-6, which you don't have. The DB8 is UHF only, real channels 14-51. I suggest the Winegard HD7694P combo for VHF-High and UHF, as an upgrade from the 751.

Add a Channel Master 7778 preamp near the antenna to amplify the signals before they suffer the 100 ft coax loss. Once a signal is lost, an amp inside can't recreate it.

You could try the CM 7778 with your RCA 751 before buying the 7694 antenna.

Code:
7694 > 7778 > 100ft RG6 > grounding > CM power > splitter
                          block       inserter
If the antenna is outside, the coax shield should be grounded with a grounding block that is connected to the house electrical system ground with 10 gauge copper wire for electrical safety and to reject interference. For further compliance with the electrical code (NEC), the mast should also be grounded in a similar manner to drain any buildup of static charge, but the system will not survive a direct strike.

Quote:
So I kind of gave up on this as the wife wasn't pressuring me for DVR capabilities on the MCE machine, but now that's a request so I'd like to try to get a reliable signal back into my MCE box.
If the upgrade works well for the Vizio but not the MCE, consider a TiVo Roamio or a Channel Master DVR+.
Quote:
Thoughts on a bigger antenna solving my issue?
Chances are good, but no guarantee when trees and hills are involved.

Last edited by rabbit73; 5-Nov-2015 at 6:48 PM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote