View Single Post
Old 31-Jan-2011, 4:39 AM   #11
GroundUrMast

I'll only speak for myself... I don't hate amplifiers, though I'm frustrated when they are sold to consumers who not only do not need them but, will actually get poorer results if they use an amplifier. OTA signal amplifiers have a place in some installations, not all.

You are in a location with strong signals. Not only do you not need an amplifier, you can expect an amplifier to overload, rendering the signals passing through it - distorted and degraded in quality.

I agree with Dave, we would expect a basic non-amplified antenna such as the Philips SDV5119/27 to serve you well. Because it has not, I believe we need to shift our thinking into 'trouble shooting' mode. After Dave L's suggestion regarding possible FM interference http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...LAID=685157763 , three other theories come to my mind.

1) There may be a defect with the Philips SDV5119/27 antenna.
2) There may be signal blocking properties associated with your town-home's construction.
3) There may be a defect with the TV.

Starting with #1, does the antenna produce good results connected to another set? Can it be exchanged for an identical unit? Do you have a friend or family member who can briefly loan you a known good non-amplified indoor or outdoor antenna? #2, If the patio door is opened, is there any change in signal strength? (Does the door have a solar filter coating that blocks RF?) #3, If you have established that the antenna can produce expected results on another TV, you are left with the conclusion that there is some problem with the set.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 31-Jan-2011 at 5:03 AM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote