View Single Post
Old 9-May-2017, 8:40 PM   #36
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Quote:
So this proposed setup using an un powered UHF antenna pointed at 111 degrees true azimuth will work.
The remaining confusion is regarding the power pass diagram for the signal combiner. It indicates the power will not be shunted to my existing antenna, correct? My assumption is that my existing antenna will be connected to the VHF input of the combiner. Am I way off base?
You are not off base, you are correct. If you can not find a UVSJ with power pass on the VHF side, you must use two coax down leads like this:

Code:
                DB2E > coax > grounding > coax >
                                block           \
                                               UVSJ > splitter > TVs            
                                                /
VHF > preamp > coax > grounding > coax > power > 
ANT                    block            inserter
If you can find a UVSJ with power pass on the VHF side, this would be the setup:

Code:
 DB2E > coax > 
              \
             UVSJ > coax > grounding > coax > power > splitter > TVs            
present       /              block           inserter
VHF > preamp >
Ant
If you look closely at the Radio Shack UVSJ, you can see the DC pass arrow going to the UHF port. This would allow you to insert a preamp between the UHF antenna and the UVSJ to amplify the UHF signals, but not the VHF signals, which is not what you need.

The power pass for the Antennas Direct UVSJ is also to UHF.

The label on the Radio Shack pkg is misleading:

It is described as a splitter for two components, which is not correct.

The Holland UVSJ passes DC to the VHF port, but there is no arrow:

Notice that it says Separator so that it doesn't get confused with a splitter, as happened here on this thread, creating a heated discussion:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/25-hdt...-combiner.html

Inside:

I will try to find a UVSJ with power pass on the VHF side. If I can find one I will send it to you. Meanwhile, do a test with temporary coax lines and a second antenna for UHF to see if the plan will work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RS 15-2586 UVSJ Label.jpg (78.7 KB, 1660 views)
File Type: jpg RSuvsjPkgLabel_1.jpg (228.6 KB, 1694 views)
File Type: jpg Holland UVSJ_1.jpg (73.4 KB, 1681 views)
File Type: jpg Holland UVSJ inside_1.jpg (99.4 KB, 1680 views)

Last edited by rabbit73; 12-May-2017 at 1:46 AM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote