View Single Post
Old 13-Aug-2016, 11:44 PM   #5
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by storypage View Post
I would like to receive all of the major networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox) in my local area.
I can only seem to pick up either Fox and ABC, or CBS and NBC, depending on where I point the antenna, even though they are in the same general direction (though not in a straight line).
The problem is, you didn't follow the good advice given to you by GroundUrMast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
I'd suggest that you should focus your efforts on the signal to the S & SW. Your chances of reliable reception are quite good in that direction.

The spread between signals leads me toward the Antennas Direct DB4e facing about 200° as a starting aim point.
He saw ahead of time the problem you are now facing, and suggested the DB4e because it has a wider beamwidth to cover both directions at the same time.

The 8 bay antenna has a null on each side of center that makes the other direction weaker.

It is not clear whether you bought the DB8 or the newer DB8e. They both have a null each side of center, but the newer DB8e has printed circuit baluns that are excellent for UHF, but don't do well with VHF signals like ABC on real channel 11.

The DB4E has a wider beamwidth and doesn't have a null on each side of enter like the DB8E.

Quote:
What can I do differently that would help with this?
You can buy a DB4E, but before that you can do a test using half of your DB8E.

Disconnect the feedline from the output of the combiner and connect it to the balun of just one of the panels. This will bypass the combiner and the other panel. If ABC is too weak, you will need to add a VHF-High antenna for it, like the AD VHF Kit or an MCM 30-2475.

An alternative would be to use a Winegard HD7694P or an Antennas Direct C2V aimed at about 197 degrees magnetic for your local channels, and use the DB8e for hunting distant stations in other directions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg storypageTVFdb8e.jpg (178.1 KB, 1528 views)
File Type: jpg DB4E Pattern.JPG (112.6 KB, 1549 views)

Last edited by rabbit73; 14-Aug-2016 at 12:34 AM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote