View Single Post
Old 15-Sep-2018, 7:30 PM   #23
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by niv
OK, we switched to page 2, didn’t notice that with my last post. Went to the bottom of the page 1 and saw nothing new, my wife was waiting for me so I quickly pasted my PM not noticing we’d turned another page. :-)

I don’t think there is anything wrong with the cartridge. It’s a bear to setup but I’m pretty sure it is properly seated. I have an extra one left over from the antenna that the roofer took down. I’m a pack rat and saved it. I did not bridge anything on the antenna that wasn’t already bridged. The knuckle you are seeing in the picture is part of the antenna, my only addition is the wire going across it with black tape on either end. Like you said earlier it would be good for a DC situation but it’s a RF situation which I know little about.
It's not clear to me what that extra wire is bridging. I only know that any extra wire might reduce the performance of the antenna.
Quote:
It is curious that 3.1 (real 24) and 5.1 (real 17) are under performing while 15.1, (shows as weak on hopper OTA) 45.1(real 26) and 61.1 (real 49) are working just fine. But as I said I know little about RF. Try the by, 4.1 Tucson has gone away since the antenna realignment. The LG tuner is great, everything is coming in with 12.1 tearing a bit. Both mission critical tuners 3.1, 5.1, 12.1 are MIA in all situations. I’ve gone through the DA and gone straight from the antenna to each device (Hooper & LG are going through a dual splitter at their end). Maybe the mangled wires just outside of the CB-8269 Cartridge is a problem?

If I were to replace the antenna what is the best one to replace it with? Another HD7698P (although I really don’t like the way it’s put together), Channel Master 3671? Does any one know anything about the Denny’s HD stacker?

https://tinyurl.com/lw72wnh

It looks kind of interesting, they do a comparison with 19 other antennas

https://tinyurl.com/y73ucu2n

But then again it’s their marketing so . . .
Yes, Denny is good at marketing. I don't have any experience with his Stacker and the reports are mixed. Some users like it, others not.

You could get another 7698; you are familiar with its quirks.

The Channel Master 3671 is discontinued, but there are a few left. In its day it was popular, but it is very wide because it covers VHF-Low channels 2-6.

The current CM UHF/VHF-High equivalent to the 7698 is the Digital Advantage 100, CM-2020, but the specs list the gain less than the 7698.

Another alternative would be separate UHF and VHF antennas, like the Antennas Direct 91XG for UHF and the Stellar Labs 30-2476 for VHF-High.
Quote:
I know that everything gets stronger at 58’. In the past all channels come in but I want to get the best going at 33’ so that everything is better at 58’. I don't expect to see 12.1, I'm amazed that it comes in on the LG. But II'd like to see 3.1 & 5.1. All current reading are with the PA. I have seen 5.1 on the SDT recording 60 minutes and Salvation weekly since getting it about a month ago, without the PA. Some recordings have had breakups, some perfect.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote