View Single Post
Old 28-Oct-2014, 12:44 PM   #5
atlantis43

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgr View Post
The passing cars/planes/boats phenomenon is pretty common. If my antenna is mounted near ground level, the signal breaks up every time a cah drives past on my street (seldom here). Certainly the large passing metal object changes the propagation of radio waves (and TV) locally, but the exact nature of the change I'm not sure. I'd guess the big metal object is reflective and it creates multipath interference. Might help to put your antenna higher, like on the peak of your roof.
Unfortunately, my roof antenna (the one that doesn't receive 13.1) is already about 175 ft above sea level (although the Queen Mary 2, and other cruise ships, are about 200 ft tall). Also, as I already live on an upper floor, my indoor antenna is about 160 ft above sea level. Perhaps the brick walls of my building and other nearby buildings add interference to the signals.
I'm most puzzled by the signal degradation that this new HD technology has resulted in, since once they had upgraded the standard broadcast signal some 15 years ago (I'm not technically savvy, but I think they added some kind of 'rotary' signal transmission in order to minimize interference at that time), the channel reception used to be perfect.
At least, luckily, I don't seem to get interference from cars, of which there are many.
Sounds as if there's no hope other than to use the cable-tv rapists, with their "thousands of channels and nothing to watch" pricing policies.
atlantis43 is offline   Reply With Quote