View Single Post
Old 7-Jun-2011, 2:40 PM   #5
11davie

I’m back with more questions… Since my last post we have been using the powered indoor Terk for one TV and it has been working well, only periodic drops or pixilation with much better signal strength then I was expecting. We ordered a Antennacraft HBU-33 because we have one other (two if I run a third coax) TV’s that I would like to get connected and we wanted to not have indoor antennas at each one, a much cleaner look. I have mounted the antenna in the rafters of the garage (detached and about 70 feet of cable I am guessing) and have been struggling to figure out why I cannot get acceptable signal strength on channels 33,43, and 45. The only way I can is if I make it a straight run from the main TV to the antenna. If I put any splitters in I can no longer receive these stations. I am tempted to say that only UHF is being affected by the HBU-33 because in all configurations the VHF channels come in very strong at 95-100 percent, and the lower UHF such as 22 and 30 are still acceptable at around 65%. I have even put my amplifier from Radio Shack (mine is about 8 years old but looks just like Model: 15-2507) and this almost brings the high UHF to acceptable levels when the splitter is in but not as good as a straight through connection. Also the amp does not seem to make any difference when it is a straight run to the antenna. I don’t get that. The Terk does better with the UHF then the HBU-33 does, even if I put in the amplifier. I have double checked that the butterfly nuts that attach the UHF section to the VHF section are making a good connection. I have the antenna orientated so that if the towers are to the right it is like this ---<-. I have tried two different splitters: I bought a new 4-way splitter (2 GHz 90dB 4-Way F-Pin Splitter 1-DC Passing) that is labeled as 40-2050 MHz from Amazon, and one that was already in use at the house that is older, a 2-way that I believe is labeled as 5-100 MHz that maybe seemed to work a tad bit better.

So to sum up I am at a loss as to why the VHF reception is so outstanding and the UHF is barely acceptable (I have spent time aiming it) when compared to the powered rabbit ears. Is it possible for a cable issue to effect UHF and not VHF? (all cable is RG6)

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Levin
11davie is offline   Reply With Quote