View Single Post
Old 11-Jul-2014, 8:57 AM   #19
ghz24

I have two RCA converter boxes same model one is junk (10 channels missing 2 locals ) the other is a champ @ 24 channels ~9 dB better noise margin.
The silicon dust tuner I have seems really sensitive (didn't test at the same time as the two RCAs)

Quote:
If using a preamplifier, the sensitivity of the tuner is not very critical. Sensitivity is mainly determined by the noise figure of the tuner. In most cases when using a typical preamp, the noise figure of the system approaches the noise figure of the preamplifier alone. Thus, the preamplifier is the main determinant of sensitivity.

One could take a poor sensitivity tuner and add a good preamplifier and probably exceed the sensitivity of the best available tuner alone.
I'm less than a mile from a transmitter and < 5 miles from 4 more.
I bought a very low noise floor quality pre-amp (it's on my shelf).
I intend on experimenting with it hooked to a very high gain antenna pointed away from the local towers.
I've been lead the believe the pre-amp will likely not be helpful with weak signals due to high signals from the locals.

I guess we should all get an indoor antenna, splitter and variable attenuator as rabbit73 suggests and haul it down to the store and insist on testing before the purchase.
ghz24 is offline   Reply With Quote