View Single Post
Old 20-Jan-2015, 3:37 AM   #11
HDTV-OTA

Thanks for the responses. I had planned to mount the 4228 outdoors.

My new 4228 may have been a used or returned item. The box arrived in its original OEM box, box was open, missing 2 hardware wing nuts, top left side reflector was bowed and misaligned, no internal padding, styrofoam or packaging, reflector assembly partially attached to the bowtie assembly, and the overall antenna had scrapes and abrasions on it. Is that normal?

Could the balun be electrically defective? Have you seen defective baluns?
The balun physically looked sound.

@ GroundUrMast: Good point – you questioned about the setup of my tuner and it's ability to deal with weak signal conditions. On the 55” LED TV, I scanned on both the Antenna and Cable mode several times. Also, connected to my HP all-in-one computer’s TV tuner and received zero channels. A couple months ago, I was visiting in central Louisiana and was using a Mohu Leaf ultimate on both the above mentioned TV and CPU to watch TV. Process of elimination.

@Tripelo: Good point – you mentioned I may have some FM stations nearby that could cause a problem with reception. I think I do have, or appears to be, an FM station very nearby, maybe 2 to 3 miles away. TVFool indicates I have 3 stations 10 miles away. Will these FM station interfere with any of my channel reception?

Some folks in this fringe location seem to have older or typical 6’ to 10’ beam yagi’s, but rarely see any larger yagi’s with a 14’ to 16’ beam. I can’t say what channels they may or may not be receiving.

Someone stated on a forum that bigger is better given certain situations.

I’m wondering if stacking 2 4228’s with a RCA preamp, Super G 1483, or a larger yagi such as the 8200U would receive a reasonable amount of channels that I could work with?

Thanks for your help.
HDTV-OTA is offline   Reply With Quote