View Single Post
Old 15-Oct-2015, 11:36 PM   #1
Mecha Archzilla

Looking to install an optimal set-up

Hello everyone, and thank you in advance for helping me.

Here is my report

I have just moved and am looking to install an antenna set-up. We were living in Columbia SC and used a Mohu Leaf split to 2 TVs for about 2 years. We got great reception and all of the local channels. The Leaf only got us a few stations in Camden.

I bought a Clearstream 2V-J3 from Walmart and tried it around a few locations. It is now hanging from a nail in the attic facing approximately 220-240 degrees magnetic with 50' of coax going through my attic access to one TV.

Obviously temporary and not ideal, but we get all of the stations listed in green on the report. 47 and 48 do give us some problems sometimes. Now that we know that we can get reception here it is time to create a more permanent set-up, but I want to make sure I am doing it right and have the best equipment possible for the job. I am willing to spend time/money to get it right.

So, here is what I would like to ask:

1. Is there any chance of getting either the Florence or Charlotte stations at my location? The peak of my roof is about 30' above ground level. There are some trees in the way but not super thick.

2. The ideal set-up I am imagining will be something like this: Roof top antenna (or antennae if I can get Florence or Charlotte), Combiner, PreAmp?, coax going to cable distribution box with splitter to 8 rooms. Is this reasonable?

3. If it is reasonable, what would be the best equipment to use for each part of the system?

I realize this is a lot, so feel free to not answer everything.

Thank You,
Mecha Archzilla
Mecha Archzilla is offline   Reply With Quote