View Single Post
Old 14-Mar-2014, 7:03 PM   #6
ajia

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvcmty View Post
The analysis was generated at 25’. To see what would be more reasonable for an indoor antenna at a TV on the first floor, run an analysis at about 6’.
Wouldn't reception be better at 25'?
The antenna would be mounted on the roof of our 2 story house.

Quote:
If you want a “check” for the TV fool model results, you could go to http://www.rabbitears.info/search.php and put in your zip, an 80 or 100 mile radius, your address, turn on the signal strength option, and put in the height you want to put your antenna at. Then compare the dBm column from rabbit ears with the Pwr (dBm) column from TV fool. I have seen differences from a tenth of a dBm to 16dBm. In my experience Rabbit Ears is less optimistic about what gets a LOS path, which could push stations from easy to get to requiring some work to get.
Still, wouldn't an outdoor antenna be better, or at least just as good as a rooftop antenna? Rabbitears seem so......50's!

Quote:
The antenna you describe is an example of a company selling junk to vulnerable consumers.
Again......reason for the thread title. Now coming to the experts for guidance.

Quote:
Given the extreme distance between you and the transmitters, I would either put up a HD7698P or a DB8e and an Y10-7-13 with a UVSJ pointed at 80 degrees magnetic.
Thank you for that. The HD7698P if I only wanted Mt. Wilson, or the DB8e if i want MT. Wilson & the tower to the north??

Quote:
KUHD analog on RF6 is probably being used as a radio station, so I doubt you need a VHF Low antenna. (If you look for K02RB (RF 2) in the FCC database, it is not there. If you look up KVTU (RF 3) in the FCC database, they have multiple applications in so their long term future on channel 3 is questionable, rabbit ears has them listed as off air. Long term, the effort for a VHF-low antenna pointed at Los Angeles is not justified by the low power stations on chs 2-6)
In other words look for an antenna that is geared towards VHF High, right?

Thanks again for your help.

Last edited by ajia; 14-Mar-2014 at 7:13 PM.
ajia is offline   Reply With Quote