View Single Post
Old 17-Feb-2013, 1:27 PM   #9
sammybenjamin

Thanks all for all the good information. When the reception is good, the picture is perfect and enjoyable to watch. But when it breaks up even for a few seconds, in a repeat cycle, then it destroys the whole experience of watching a show.

I am mostly pointing out to the poor stability of the HD transmission which needs to be better transmitted. It is hard to work with a situation where channels that come from the same direction and distance have different reception characteristics. Sometimes I an see an 85% signal strength, but no picture. The variation due to time of day and weather conditions affects the quality of the signal. These variations throws you off when trying to devise a solution to work around such deficiencies.

In my thinking it would have been a better planned solutions if all transmitters were located in a single TV tower which had the job of transmitting the OTA HD signals. I have seen this work in larger cities overseas.

This way the consumer is relieved of making all these directional permutations and combinations with trial and error methods to deal with its various technical nuances. In this solution, the user needs to only point to the nearest preset direction relative to their home and then fine tune the signal strength with a amplifier.

The Omnidirectional antenna is performing pretty well baring a few quirks now and then. I am convinced that this is the right type of antenna for signals that need to be received from multiple transmitters without manual intervention. This takes out the need to conjure up a complex design adaptations of multiple antennas that may require rotors and switches.

For those looking or some basic understanding of how the Antenna works, this is a good site (found it as a side link in Teleview's post):
http://www.kyes.com/antenna/antennadex.html
sammybenjamin is offline   Reply With Quote