View Single Post
Old 20-Aug-2014, 6:40 PM   #1
annie

What happened to my OTA signal? NorCal

Hi, I'm need help with a problem that I've been having since March of this year. Prior to March I had excellent OTA reception, getting channels as far away as San Mateo. But something happened in March that has disrupted my reception in a major way. I'm at my wits end, about to order satellite which is not what I want to do.
I live outside Sacramento in the foothills, use a Radio Shack HDX1000, with standard cable the run is about a 100' and have a new (12/13) digital tv and I had another digitial tv for about 4 years before. The antenna is about 20'-25' off the ground, mounted on the roof. I've changed out the antenna and cable (shortening it too) with no change in reception. Nothing in my home has changed.

Prior to March, as I mentioned earlier, I had excellent channel reception as listed below:

Channel...............Prior to March.................After March
2.1, 2.2................Depended on weather......Gone
3.1-3.2 …............Excellent..........................Interrupted and sporadic reception
5.1.......................Excellent..........................Gone
6.1, 6.2, 6.3.........Excellent..........................Excellent
7.1, 7.2................Sporadic...........................Gone
8.1thru 8.6...........Depended on weather......Gone
9.1, 9.2, 9.3.........Excellent..........................Sporadic
10.1-10.2.............Excellent..........................Interrupted and sporadic reception
13.1.....................Excellent..........................Has some major interruptions
15.1-15.2.............Didn't watch....................Interrupted and sporadic reception
19-1, 19.2............Didn't watch....................Interrupted and sporadic reception
20.1, 20.2............Excellent..........................Interrupted and sporadic reception
23.1, 23.2, 23.3...Excellent for QVC...........Interrupted and sporadic reception
29.1 thru 29.6......Excellent..........................Has some minor interruptions
31.1......................Excellent.........................Some interrupted and sporadic reception
32.1-32.6.............Depended on weather......Major interruptions and sporadic reception
33.1.....................Didn't watch.....................Don't watch
38.1-38-6.............Interrupted and sporadic..Gone
40-1, 40.2.............Excellent.........................Has some minor interruptions
42.1 thru 42.4......Interrupted and sporadic..Gone
44.1......................Interrupted and sporadic..Gone
50.1, 50.2.............Depended on weather......Sporadic
58-1, 58-2............Excellent..........................Has some minor interruptions
64.1, 64.3.............Excellent..........................Excellent

Most of the interruption is during the week, Monday thru Friday, on the weekends the interruptions seems to abate somewhat. The interruptions are either immediate (the channel signal is gone) or moderate/severe pixelation bouncing between no signal over a period of time anywhere from a few seconds to hours. The immediate loss of signal usually happens on the hour, i.e. 7:57 pm. (really weird!) and can go across many channels. When the pixelation occurs the best way to describe the interference is like a thermostat kicking on and a short time later a blower/motor starts, which is what I initially thought the interference was. The weather was cold and the coincidence of the interference starting on a Sunday, like someone had a bought a space heater in the neighborhood. After the weather warmed and the interference continues, guess that's not it.
Signal Analysis: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...ec2f85b9f90447
Sorry for such a long post but I don't know where to turn and want to describe what's going on as best I can. Any ideas? Thank you so much for your help.
Annie
annie is offline   Reply With Quote