View Single Post
Old 22-May-2014, 12:46 PM   #9
tomfoolery

Quote:
Originally Posted by cov1978 View Post
I guess my question relates to whether the 7694 would reach 60 miles out.
I think you have it backwards - the antenna doesn't 'reach out' - it merely collects up whatever reaches IT.

Click on one of the stations in your fool report, and look at the terrain. Those transmitters are on a tall hill (mountain), with a direct line of sight to your antenna, all the way down to the bottom of the yellow with KHTV (real 27) and a NM value of 28.9 dB. That's an enviable situation.

There's a primer on this site somewhere that I can't seem to find discussing NM figures and how it relates to reception, but the takeaway is that distance by itself means almost nothing. How much signal gets to your antenna means everything, tempered by how badly it's degraded by refraction (it's not), or multi-path (doesn't seem to be any), or any other negative phenomena, of which there doesn't seem to be much if any. Some of those variables are taken into account in the NM figures for each station, along with effective power at your location.

A '30 mile range' antenna may not be able to receive a very weak signal on the other side of a big hill when mounted in a canyon with trees in the way and aluminium siding all around it, or even a super strong signal originating less than a mile away in midtown Manhattan (man made canyons - a common problem there), while the same antenna may work very well at 60 miles or more when receiving very strong transmitted signals with nothing around it at all to mess with the signal. Like your location.

I'd ignore the distance ratings, and listen to the folks making specific suggestions.

Last edited by tomfoolery; 22-May-2014 at 12:57 PM.
tomfoolery is offline   Reply With Quote