View Single Post
Old 21-Apr-2015, 8:55 AM   #2
StephanieS

Greetings Heliophobe,

I work some signals at 55 miles that are low powered with my set up. My weakest is about 7.6 db.

Your plot isn't too kind in regards to Boston. I would almost suggest you run additional signal plot heights of 50' and 100'. The goal with these additional heights is to determine if Boston signals increase in strength. As it stands at 25', your results at best would be intermittent because you are on that ragged edge of usable signal for that market

If I were to suggest an easier option - Providence is much more accessible. At 25' ABC, CBS, CW, FOX and NBC have adequate signal for reliable reception. I might use an Antennacraft HBU33 for this application installed on the roof free of obstructions. I would expect all with the exception of PBS WSBE at magnetic heading 314/320 to be received when pointing that way.

Now, back to Boston. Until I see your additional plots, I'm reluctant to recommend any steps at 25' due to poor signal access. The benefit may not be there. Perhaps you can as a test before you commit yourself any deeper to Boston, buy the HBU33 and test it to magnetic 340 before locking it down to magnetic 315 so you see what you get. If you are close to the water, and part of Boston's path is over water it may work to your advantage. You'll just have to test out various scenarios. Right now though, the most concrete and likely reliable market is Providence. The HBU33 is recommended for it's support of high-VHF signals which you need for Providence.

A preamp for Boston *might* help, but keep in mind preamps just overcome losses in coax. If you signal at the antenna is at the ragged edge of reception with antenna gain applied, the only thing the preamp will do is prevent signal loss further down the coax. In Boston's case, as you've noted you'll likely need probably the highest horsepower UHF antenna you can lay your hands on to have a chance. UHF television signals further are less prone to "travel" well due to their shorter wavelengths.

At this point, after we see the additional plots its about cost benefit ratio. One might say Boston is going to be very difficult. The question becomes how much do you want to spend to try for it? In my part of the country I have the benefit of line of sight and elevation for my weaker signals.

I hate to not be optimistic, but Providence can be done with both TVs for a modest sum of money +/- 100 bucks. Boston will require more extreme measures and perhaps even a tower. If two antennas are a deal breaker, choosing the option that gives the higher chance of success is the one to go with and that's Providence.

Cheers.

Last edited by StephanieS; 21-Apr-2015 at 9:32 AM.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote