View Single Post
Old 9-Dec-2014, 2:46 PM   #17
timgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by coggsnyrnyg View Post
Honestly, not sure if there is an amp built into the antenna or not. Was reading the manual and it said I could use the splitter and it would be good for an additional 30 feet. I used the amp from Home Depot because I knew I was going to have more than a 30 foot cable. Worked, except for this one channel.

Yes, using the white jolt amp now, on my second as the original died after about a week. Do you think I would be better off just using a basic splitter? Can pick one up at radio shack on my way home today.
Reading the instructions on the Mohu site, they clearly label an external component as the amplifier. The amplifier looks like the size and shape of a balun - maybe it's just the power injector, and the amplifier is actually in the antenna body. They also suggest that you connect their 30' cable to the antenna, and locate the amplifer at the end of that 30' cable. The amplifier must be powered by the USB cable attached to it, either by plugging in to a USB port or using the supplied power cube.

Placing the amplifier next to the TV seems strange, as I've described above.

To me, the amplifier seems like a gimmick, considering it's far away from the signal source. You have plenty of signal in the air. With any of the other antennas that were mentioned, you should not need an amplifier even with 60' of cable. Leave out the amplifier, connect the antenna directly to the TV, and see what you get.

Last edited by timgr; 9-Dec-2014 at 2:51 PM.
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote